Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 690-0024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

2 gigs of system memory reserved for a not in use integrated graphics card on the Ryzen 5 2400g processor/motherboard.

Used to be about 1 gig before an update, not sure if it was a bios update, but think it was.

No bios settings to address the issue that I can find.  I chatted with standard support and they said my only recourse was to pay for Smartfriend support.  Not acceptable.  I'm in warranty, and an update made this issue worse.

Has anyone had this issue and possibly received a beta bios update or similar from support to correct this issue?

Or any ideas on what to do?

I am acquiring another 8 gig stick of ram, because Ryzen 5 2400g will work better with dual channel anyways and this will hopefully alleviate most of this issue, but this is treating the symptoms, not the cause of the problem.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I think you have a operating system problem and not a BIOS one....

I read your computer specs...and I saw this:

No integrated graphics
  • The Sunflower motherboard does not support integrated graphics.

So I dont think that your memory is reserved for Integrated graphics which does not exist....Try reinstalling Windows...this may fix your problem!

Mike
HP Pavilion 590-p0026nq, Core i7-8700, 8GB, 1TB, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060+Samsung 970 Evo Plus 256 GB NVMe
HP Recommended

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Desktops/The-RAM-shortage-for-hp-pavilion-690-0024/td-p/6988875

Its definitely a integrated graphics problem.  The sunflower motherboard has connections for VGA and HDMI.  The processor, Ryzen 5 2400G has integrated Vega 11 graphics.

And I found others with the exact same problem posting on various forums on this support site this year.  Link above is one discussion.

HP Recommended

Also:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/How-to-disable-or-reduce-integr...

Which you even commented on Grizzly.

Looks like this problem is being ignored by HP for now.  A firmware update made it worse, from 1 gig reserved to 2 gig reserved.

Oh well, at least adding another 8 gig stick will help out a lot for programs and VR that are wanting 8 gigs.  That and performance gain from a single stick versus dual channel are documented with various processors, including this one.

HP Recommended

@Loomis1975,

The 2 GB RAM issue is solved.  The BIOS reserves 2 GB as a default to the video slot.

Sometimes I regret having to jumjp into the fray, but not this time.

There have been several mistakes in this discussion caused by the wrong specifications and pictures of the unit.

1) The motherboard does not have any video ports.  Those are not present.

2) The PCIEx16 slot is the only means of video.  Remove the card, and there is NO video output.

Full video explaination of this EXACT model can be seen below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2lfuqKojvE

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Why is the BIOS reserving first 1 gig and now 2 gig of system ram for the vega 11 graphics which you point out cannot be used?

There is a black cover on a video port on the motherboard section of the back case, which is what I was basing the motherboard having ports.

Again, what is the purpose of the BIOS reserving 2 gigs of system ram for the integrated vega 11 graphics which cannot be used?

How is that solved?

Windows is showing 5.9 gigs available of the 8 gigs installed, which matches up with the information below of 2048 MB assigned to integrated graphics.

Pasted from the AMD RADEON Application, System Branch, Integrated Graphics Tab:

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon(TM) RX Vega 11 Graphics
Device ID - 15DD
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 8433
SubSystem Vendor ID - 103C
Revision ID - C6
Bus Type - PCI
Current Bus Settings - PCI
BIOS Version - 016.002.000.008
BIOS Part Number - 113-RAVEN-111
BIOS Date - 2018/07/20 16:02
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - DDR4
Memory Clock - 1333 MHz
Core Clock - 1251 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 21 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 2.67 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0001
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 2.0

HP Recommended

@Loomis1975,

It is shared video RAM.   The jump from 1 GB to 2 GB is not mentioned in the reply that I found.

BTW <> I am curious, what is ubder the black cover on the back of the case.

HP states there is no video port on the rear.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

It might be shared video ram, but because the motherboard doesn't support integrated graphics, its useless.  It only takes away from the system ram available to windows.  I.e. it does not increase the video ram to the dedicated RX580 graphics card, that still stays at its native 4 gigs of ram.

I contacted AMD support for their suggestions and they said on an integrated video card, it needs to be disabled in the BIOS because just disabling it in the Device Manager will not free up the memory.  I tried disabling it in the Device Manager and they were right, it did not free up the 2 gigs back to system memory.  Disabling it in the Device Manager did remove it from the Radeon System information list, like they said it would, but that doesn't make any difference to memory allocation of course.

When I take cover off to put in the other memory stick I am adding to the machine, I will report back whats visible on the inside of that black covered port and what is under it if I can get it off.

At this point, I just want to get the machine in good shape for a product I will be reviewing that requires 8 gigs of system ram, and I was always going to upgrade the RAM at some point anyways.

HP Recommended

So I took apart the case and added in another 8 gig memory stick for the system RAM, that went well, up to 13.9 Gigs system RAM available.  The ram was inexpensive, had the exact same stats, and is working fine.

The black cover on the back of the case is covering a VGA port that is part of the motherboard.  The HDMI marked blank metal cover on the case is covering a HDMI port that is part of the motherboard.  The IOIOI blank metal cover on the case is covering nothing, but behind the VGA spot on the motherboard there is a classic DB9 size 9 pin solder spot for a RS232 Serial port hardware, I know the motherboard doesn't support any of these hardware connections, but that spot for RS232 is definitely old school.

I'm fine with the outcome, but if HP releases a BIOS that changes the reserve memory allocation to an absolute minimum or better yet NONE, I definitely won't complain.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.