Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP compaq
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

HI I have installed a Pentium D 945 as an upgrade from a Pentium 4 in a compaq DC7600. the new CPU is recognized by the mother board but i'm getting a Microcode error... I am wondering how to upgrade the bios ? I'm running Win 7 Professional. Thank you , I hope you can help. Ter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wonderful!

Now, let's see if you can get the BIOS updated...

Go back and format your USB flash drive just by right clicking on it, select Format and format it with the FAT 32 file system.

Once that is done, copy the BIOS update files that I zipped up and attached below to the flash drive.

Remember...just the files in the folder, not the folder.

You should be an expert at this by now...😊

After you have copied the files to your blank, formatted USB drive, restart the PC and go into the BIOS again.

Follow those prompts in your screen shot...File>Flash System ROM>select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the flash drive.

Follow the onscreen instructions to update the BIOS, and let's hope that gets your P D 945 to work without the microcode error message.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Without an exact model-number for your computer, e.g., "Pavilion 123456", it is impossible to give specific advice to point you to any HP Support web-page, for a download of a BIOS update.

Note that Microsoft is still allowing a "free" upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10.  I think that it is time for you to try Windows 10 -- since its release in mid-2015, it has greatly improved.

HP Recommended

Hi, @TK1957 

Here is how you update the Microcode on your HP dc7600, which hopefully will add support for the Pentium D 945...

You will need a USB flash drive for this project.

I have zipped up and attached three files below...

The first file (sp27608) is an old HP USB formatting tool which will make the USB flash drive bootable.

Unzip and run the file to make your USB flash drive bootable.

The next zip file contains DOS command files.

Unzip the file to its folder, and copy the file contents of the folder to your bootable USB flash drive.

The last file (sp33313) is the actual dc7600 microcode update, which is found on the XP driver section of the dc7600 support page.

Unzip this file, and copy just the file contents of the DOS flash folder inside sp33313, to your USB flash drive.

Now you boot from the USB flash drive to update the microcode.

After the PC boots from the flash drive, you should arrive at a DOS command prompt.

At the command prompt type Flashbin.exe and press the enter key.

Then follow the on screen instructions to update the Microcode to version 1.11.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,, thank you for your help,, I'm truly great full.. So I tried the sequence that you listed and when I try to  set the Boot device to the Flash drive it just gets ignored for some strange reason and my machine boots into windows.. Not sure what I've missed?  I tried switching to the F: drive(usb) in Win safe mode but DOS is safe mode won't change directories to the F: Drive. I'm not that great with this stuff so We might have to go back to the basics.  

First I'm trying to get my DC7600 Compaq to enter the bios.. 
second trying to tell the bios to boot off of the USB drive 
Third? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Assuming you followed my instructions and the HP tool made the USB drive bootable, put the flash drive in a USB port.

Turn on or restart the PC.

Press/tap the F9 key to get the boot options menu.

Select the USB flash drive and press the enter key.

The PC should then boot from the flash drive.

HP Recommended

I had used this procedure to update my dc7600 CMT's microcode to support the PD 945 and it worked just as I explained.

I did some more research and found that a BIOS version 1.56 added support for the PD 940 and 950 processors.

It doesn't mention the PD 945.

Version: 1.56 A

Fixed in this release:

• Adds native USB 2.0 support.
  • Adds support for Intel Pentium 4 631, 641, 651, 661 and Intel Pentium D 930, 940, 950 Processors.
  • Adds support for Drive Lock capable hard drive.

Updating the BIOS is much easier than updating the Microcode.

So, if you can't update the microcode using the process I explained, here is how you can easily update the BIOS in the dc7600 SFF or CMT.

If you have the dc7600 Ultra Slim Desktop PC(USDT) then the processor you installed is not supported in that model.

Here is how to update the BIOS...

Get a USB flash drive.  Format it with the FAT32 file system.

I have zipped up and attached the latest BIOS update DOS files for the dc7600 SFF/CMT below.

Version 1.61 contains all of the fixes and enhancements of the previous versions.

Download and unzip the file to its folder.

Then copy the file contents of the DOS flash folder to your blank USB flash drive.

Restart the PC, and press the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the USB flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Hopefully the BIOS update has the microcode for the P D 945 too.

HP Recommended

HI Paul,, I will give it a try,, I was actually wondering if I needed to format the USB drive.. I'll get back to you.. Thank you.. 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Well at least this time it saw the USB drive but won't boot up a Dos menu.  I'm wondering if 2 things,, I need an original win 7 disk and 2 if I need to put the old CPU back in and try it again? 

HP Recommended

Please explain to me which process you are doing.

Updating the Microcode or updating the BIOS?

Updating the BIOS does not require that you boot from the flash drive.

Just have it in a USB port, restart the PC, press the F10 key to get access to the BIOS.

Select the File tab>Flash system ROM command.

Select the USB flash drive.

The PC should 'see' the BIOS files on the USB flash drive.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the BIOS.

Any files you are copying...you do not copy the file folder, just the files inside the folder.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.