Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Curved All-in-One PC 34-b0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So when I am at the desktop and I want to open up my options for the desktop, I right click, the mouse has a blue loading circle come up next to it and then my screen goes black. The screen comes right back on right after, but the options box never comes up. I can right click on the apps on the desktop and everything works as usual. 

I updated to the new BIOS system last night and updated a few other items as well through the HP Support Assistant window.

This is really frustrating me, so any help will be very much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Tyler_Steele wrote:

So when I am at the desktop and I want to open up my options for the desktop, I right click, the mouse has a blue loading circle come up next to it and then my screen goes black. The screen comes right back on right after, but the options box never comes up. I can right click on the apps on the desktop and everything works as usual. 

I updated to the new BIOS system last night and updated a few other items as well through the HP Support Assistant window.

So I have fixed the issue on my own. I searched the internet for some help. There is this application that I used called shellexview. I went through and found the culprit that was causing my issue, PdiShellExt Class Yes Context Menu HP Display Control 2.3.17.0 HP Display Control Portrait Displays, Inc. No No No No No No C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\HP Display Control\PdiShellExt.dll {5F8D079B-8CE6-4F58-BF10-55C1B68D88F3} 5/18/2018 1:32:30 PM 2/11/2019 12:55:14 AM No DesktopBackground A 186,208 No. For whatever reason, when I disabled the PdiShellExt, there isn't anymore issues with right clicking.

Hope I help someone out in the future with this!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Alright, update. I tried to do a system restore to the point before I did the BIOS update, and when it got done doing everything an error came up saying that the restore failed. But what is really weird, is now I can right click on the desktop and everything works as usual. Any advice on what I should do next?

HP Recommended

Alright, update on that update.. Now I right click on the desktop again, and it's back to doing what it was doing again. Right click and screen goes black and then comes back on.

HP Recommended

@Tyler_Steele wrote:

So I have fixed the issue on my own. I searched the internet for some help. There is this application that I used called shellexview. I went through and found the culprit that was causing my issue, PdiShellExt Class Yes Context Menu HP Display Control 2.3.17.0 HP Display Control Portrait Displays, Inc. No No No No No No C:\Program Files\Portrait Displays\HP Display Control\PdiShellExt.dll {5F8D079B-8CE6-4F58-BF10-55C1B68D88F3} 5/18/2018 1:32:30 PM 2/11/2019 12:55:14 AM No DesktopBackground A 186,208 No. For whatever reason, when I disabled the PdiShellExt, there isn't anymore issues with right clicking.

Hope I help someone out in the future with this!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.