Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Phoenix Desktop - 860-180st CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My DATADRIVE1 is one of two extra internal 1 TB drives that I ordered with my PC.  The drive developed a lot of bad sectors and corrupt data.  I had to reformat it.  Now Windows 10 no longer finds the drive at all.  In fact, it shift all my drive letters down and now the DATADRIVE1 was the E: drive has been reassigned to Google Drive.  How can this be fixed so the drive is back on Windows 10 and usable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@collettd101 

open disk management
if the drive, is not visible, I think you will have to replace it
if it is visible, like here, you have to format it completely, create a partition, that said, it may crash completely, be careful with your data

Capture d’écran 2021-12-18 101803.png

format.gif

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

hi

the drive developed a lot of bad sectors and corrupt data. I had to reformat it. Now Windows 10 no longer finds the drive at all.

Have you erased it completely, and formatted creating a new partition with drive letter?
or have you done it in the past, it worked, but not anymore?
depending on what you did, it is possible that this is the end of the latter

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I formatted it completely from windows explorer, but I can't see where it created a new partition with a drive letter.  That's what seems to have failed.  

I've never done this in the past.

Did this in diskpart and I don't see my 1st 1 TB drive (E: or DATADRIVE1), just the 2nd one (F: or DATADRIVE2):

DISKPART> list volume

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0   G   DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1   C   Windows           NTFS Partition 455 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 2        HP_TOOLS          FAT32 Partition 8 GB Healthy
Volume 3        SYSTEM              FAT32 Partition 360 MB Healthy System
Volume 4                                      NTFS Partition 830 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 5   D   Recovery Im      NTFS Partition 11 GB Healthy Hidden
Volume 6   F   DATADRIVE2     NTFS Partition 2794 GB Healthy
Volume 7   I                                 Removable 0 B No Media

DISKPART>

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 476 GB 8 MB *
Disk 1 Online 2794 GB 0 B *
Disk 2 No Media 0 B 0 B

HP Recommended

@collettd101 -- The drive developed a lot of bad sectors and corrupt data.  I had to reformat it.  

Did you use the "quick format" -- that creates an "empty" table-of-contents, in a a minute of two,

or did you use the "full" format -- that reads/writes each sector on the disk-drive, to detect which sectors are "bad", and then those sectors are marked as "not to be used" ? A "full format" can take an hour or two, depending on the storage capacity of the disk-drive.

Note that some disk-drives have "spare" sectors. When the disk-drive itself detects a bad sector, it "retires" that sector, and deploys one of the spare sectors to act as a functional replacement. So, the "full format" may trigger the disk-drive to make the replacement, and then report that the replacement sector is "good" (and not report that one "bad" sector has been retired).

So, do a "full format", and hope that it succeeds.  

HP Recommended

@collettd101 

open disk management
if the drive, is not visible, I think you will have to replace it
if it is visible, like here, you have to format it completely, create a partition, that said, it may crash completely, be careful with your data

Capture d’écran 2021-12-18 101803.png

format.gif

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

I believe I tried the quick format first.  When that didn't really fix the problems, I did a full format.  I also ran chkdsk with the /f /r parameters.

HP Recommended

Checking Disk Management and my DATADRIVE1 no longer shows up.  I was hoping I could recover it somehow.

collettd101_0-1639833978501.png

HP Recommended

Take the usual precautions
Open the computer, remove the hard drive
Try it with another computer if possible
Or try to connect it with a usb adapter to your computer
But of great chance that it is broken down

Upgrading and Servicing Guide

https://www.muo.com/tag/connect-get-data-off-hard-drive/

i give an simple example here
que faire en cas d' erreur / échec dst du disque dur - HP Support Community - 7338574

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@collettd101 -- I was hoping I could recover it somehow.

There do exist "data recovery services" for HDD (not for SSD devices), but they are extremely expensive.

They disassemble your disk-drive while it is inside their "clean-room", and try to replace the device's motherboard, and/or use other "advanced" techniques to try to extract some of your personal files.

Expensive, but only you can decide the "value" of your personal files.

HP Recommended

Yep
indeed, I do not even offer that, because In France , for data recovery, for a hard drive that no longer works it is at least 600 €

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.