Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Same issue just kicked up with my HP ENVY All-in-One 27 series desktop.  Very frustrating.  I've tried everything they suggested, including downloading and installing the latest Windows Updates plus the latest version of the HP Support Assistant software.  Nothing works.

HP Recommended

I found a fix for this issue this is what I did after windows update messed up my copy of HPSA . Follow my steps and I hope you get the same results, Note website to download latest HPSA update.

Just in case. here it is:

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

1) Uninstall current copy of HPSA found in Apps and Features from the start menu. (Don't use Control Panel)

2) Reboot

3) Download and Install HPSA Version 9.6.714.0 / 8.8.34.31 filename ( sp108770.exe )

4) if it installs ENJOY!!  If not continue as follows:

5) Find folder c:\swsetup\sp108770 and run the UninstallHPSA file, this will remove all the HPSA file remnants and use the option to save your data for future reinstall.

6) After running UninstallHPSA and it is finished cleaning up program files delete the c:\swsetup\sp108770 folder and Reboot System.

7) Run ( sp108770.exe ) again, Install should not fail this time.

😎Goodluck and Enjoy!! Hope that this helps!!

*** Update 11/18/20 ***

Windows update working and updated HPSA and is working without any problems!!

HP Recommended

Hi Everyone. It is great to see alot of you are continuing to be upgrade to v9.8.839.0 via store and results are looking great. Our team is sparing no turns and working overtime to ensure that we have covered all grounds for our customers.

As promised, I will deliver the download link for you all by tomorrow (Monday US-time) to easily update your HPSA to v9.8.839.0 and especially for those of you who are stuck seeing the installer message about having the latest version already. We will also increase our store upgrade throttle to 100% by next week,

Once again, our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience. Stay tuned!

- HPSA PM

HP Recommended

Xavier, 

Can you answer my specific questions that I had requested yesterday. Please see them below again!

Why can't HP roll out and push the latest updated version of HPSA when ALL the issues are resolved automatically to HP community just the way the updates were rolled out on November 2, 2020 that has caused all these issues?  There are challenges to uninstall/install HPSA. I do NOT want to reach to the point that I will have to reset my laptop to factory settings. That is unacceptable and causes a lot of issues. Customers should NOT be put through all these challenges and have to spend days/hours trying to resolve all these issues.

In the future, HP SHOULD communicate with the users community of updates so that we are aware. It took days to receive an answer from HP as what was going on. In the meantime, customers spent unnecessarily days/hours researching the issues in an effort to resolve the issues without any assistance from HP. 

Is this version of HPSA compatible to Microsoft's latest Windows 10, 20H2 update?

HP Recommended

Hi @FrederickMD Please find my answers below:

"Why can't HP roll out and push the latest updated version of HPSA when ALL the issues are resolved automatically to HP community just the way the updates were rolled out on November 2, 2020 that has caused all these issues? "

Xavier: The version that we published to the store on November 6th does have All of the issues resolved. That's why we  released it to the store but just only at 1% throttle so we can do our customer facing testing to ensure this version is not causing any further problems before we open the throttle to 100%. We would never release a version that is not a production ready build or is just a partial fix. The version released on November 2nd was just an unfortunate circumstance that caused this mess for all of us which we did not anticipated. I assure you we have a very robust process for all of our releases/updates. This was just a special case. If you are upgraded to v9.6.839.0 then you are all set. On Monday I will provide a direct easy download/install link to this version to those customers who are still struggling with this issue.

"There are challenges to uninstall/install HPSA. I do NOT want to reach to the point that I will have to reset my laptop to factory settings. That is unacceptable and causes a lot of issues. Customers should NOT be put through all these challenges and have to spend days/hours trying to resolve all these issues."

Xavier: I absolutely agree with you. Factory resetting the laptop is definitely not the right solution for this and I am truly sorry if that was the solution provided to you. Our call agents cannot debug at the deeper level of this problem and use the factory reset as the last resort for the customer but when even this measure fails, then the application's experts like my self are brought in to help.

"In the future, HP SHOULD communicate with the users community of updates so that we are aware."

Xavier: While I agree with you on this and do apologize of the inconvenience it caused for you, I do want to mention that this problem is not widespread to every HPSA user since not every user had a chance to get this update before we caught this issue and immediately pulled it off the store, therefore if we release a community bulletin, it can have adverse effects causing a unnecessary panic and customers may start trying to uninstall/re-install and breaking their HPSA for no reason. Our goal is to help those users directly who are impacted and make sure all their needs of HPSA are met.

"Is this version of HPSA compatible to Microsoft's latest Windows 10, 20H2 update?"

Xavier: Yes it is. you should not have any issues with Win10 20H2 update.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had the same issue with Windows 10.. in order to address the issue I installed

HP Inc. - SoftwareComponent - 4.2.263.0

under the Windows 10 update (others).

After that I updated the HPSA under the Windows Market place.

Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your patience. Those of you whose HPSA is working normally, please Do NOT take any further action as you are updated from store directly with v9.6.839.0.

Those of you who are still struggling with this issue:

1. Right-Click on your Windows Stat Menu and click Apps & Features

2. Scroll down until you find HP Support Assistant

3. Click on Uninstall 

4. A dialog will appear for "Keep Preferences", Click No

5. Close any browser window that may open up.

Note: If you don’t currently have HPSA installed and are seeing that message "A newer version of HPSA is installed" Please proceed with Step #6 below:

6. Go to our HPSA page: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

7. Before you click on download HPSA button, press Ctrl+R button on your keyboard to clear any browser cache. Then click on the download button

8. Once downloaded, open the file and continue clicking Next button and let the installation finish. Once installed successfully, you should see a prompt "HP Support Assistant has been installed successfully"

9. Click on your start menu and type: HP Support Assistant or HPSA icon on Desktop and open the app and it should open normally as before.

If any of you see an issue with installation or following the steps above, please let me know here as I will be watching this thread everyday for a while until I feel confident that everyone is now back to normal.

Thank you for the patience as we worked through this issue and sincerely apologize to everyone's inconvenience.

-HPSA PM 

HP Recommended

A dialog will appear for "Keep Preferences", Click No

this did not appear for me. The last time I tried to uninstall this, I also did not get a "keep preferences" dialogue. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Michelle_5243 if you don't see this dialog, there's no issue since that just means you didn't have any personalized settings on HPSA. It only appears if you have certain settings that you may have selected for your own preferences.

HP Recommended

@Xavier-M: I followed your instructions, and still get the exact same error when I try to start Support Assistant.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.