Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 20
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

On 11/18/2017 Hp Touchpoint Analytics Client was installed on my computer without my concent, I'm assuming it was installed in the background as an update to Hp support or framework. However it happened I don't appreciate it's sneaky take over of my computer's system resources. From yesterday to today it's been making my computer work so hard I can hear it like cranking away and the light in the back of my computer is flashing rapidly in-tune with the cranking. In Task Manager I can see it starting and stopping numours applications, it's client service and installer, console window host, command prompts, timeout-pause command prompt, it's causing a lot of up and down use of antimalware service executable and local system. I've been able to use my computer while it's doing all of that, but I don't want to use my computer because I fear all that activity plus me will cause my computer to shut down, especially since recently I just noticed that a driver update has been trying to install but failing due to my computer being set to not automatically install driver updates and I thought that feature was turned on. It's a  Advanced Micro Devices, Inc driver update for AMD SMBus, it's been trying to install for more than a month but unfornately it started before I upgraded or updated the AMD so I don't know if it's the correct update for the new version. If you can help me with the AMD SMBus update I would appreciate it espcially since my game Hidden City Mystery of Shadows has become sluggish and I don't know if it's a graphics problem or processor and but my computer seems a bit sluggish but not unbearablely slow. I also noticed one day on facebook I was typing a message and when I got to the bottom of the box the letters didn't stay in the box, they went on and past the border of the message box so I'm assuming that's a graphics problem. Please let me know all of the information you need to be able to help me with that because it seems to also be affecting my Windows Store app, I can search puzzles but I can't click on any of the search results to see more information about the app. Windows app dianogostics tool is no help the first time I ran it, it reset the app store and said my graphics driver is out of date but driver update found nothing. Long story short I stopped and disabled the HP Touchpoint Analytics Client (version 4.0.2.1435) in services. If it's not important how do I uninstall it and make sure it doesn't reinstall since it was installed in the background without my knowlegde? And please help me with my AMD SMBus update and my sluggish computer, and how do I turn on automatic update for my drivers?  

35 REPLIES 35
HP Recommended

I'm glad I'm not the only one who spotted it installed.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Software-and-How-To-Questions/HP-Touchpoint-Manager-deployed-o...

I also do wonder if it's HP or Microsoft deploying such bombshells silently. If I have more time I will analyse the contents of logs I found under \ProgramData\HP\TouchPoint (or similar, am quoting form memory) trying to establish what is the web server they point to.

Meanwhile I suggest you unintstall it completely via Control Panel -> Programs & Features.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply, I was going to uninstall it and found an article in Hp support on how to do it but it was called Hp touchpoint manager not analytics and the program in install/uninstall programs is also titled analytics not manager. So I wasn't sure if they are one in the same especially when reading the uninstall for the manager, it talks about device unenrollment and at the time I didn't get what it meant by unenrolling from something I didn't sign up for. But today I put 2 & 2 together and figured HP Support Assistant installed it because I use to have it set up to share my software and hardware data to help them improve their products. But I changed it later to no and I shouldn't have assumed it would be that easy to opt out of that program because as always being nice comes with a price so always read the fine print.  Here is the link "(https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04163604)" on how to uninstall the touchpoint program and how to unenroll your device from the Hp touchpoint manager account. I'm assuming unenrollment will keep it from being installed again and possibly any future data harvest software from hp. Now all I need is some help with the sluggish performance of my pc, a reliable source or way to check if my drivers are up to date and help getting the AMD SMBus update from windows update that keeps failing to install because my computer is set to not automatically install driver updates. I don't know if I really need the update but if I do need it I don't know where to get it because it's not in windows update when I use check for updates and when I clicked on it in update history the links for it gives no information about so I'm at a loss on what to do. 

HP Recommended

I have my doubts that it was installed via HPSA

I started seeing other people's comments on the Internet about the same:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/663012/hp-touchpoint-analytics-bundled-with-latest-batch-o...

So it might be something that MS rather than HP started installing.

With regards to your other problem (AMD SMBus) - do you have the latest drivers installed on your PC (the ones supplied by HP)?

HP Recommended

Is it really installed by HP automatically? Or it is a malware?

I don't know should I delete this annoying program.

HP Recommended

And another reference (in Russian though):

https://forum.drweb.com/index.php?showtopic=328728

Just uninstall it from Programs and Features.

EDITED TO ADD: Some additional details here for installation file (I've found one in \Windows\Temp myself):

https://www.hybrid-analysis.com/sample/69ee4a4a89591df9df24438d22c60e4d52edca3f20a1c2adaf46818b242c7...

HP Recommended

Thank zou for the post, I had the same issue and solved it by removing the program through the control panel. At the same time I am asking myself, what HP is collecting without the concent of the users and what they do with the collected information.

HP Recommended

Good question!

And the answer: because they can...? Whatcha gonna do about it?

Anyway, new traces seen today:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hewlett_Packard/comments/7erb8w/hp_touchpoint_analytics_client/

So I gather it's limited to HP hardware so far - and it (probably) is HP that deploys it.

HP Recommended

Hello HP community

This rogue and uninvited program is running on my PC. 

In my case, it doesn’t appear to be using much resources.  However, I didn’t ask for it!

I am surprised there are not more contributions to this thread.  Equally, I have found nothing on this topic on other forum.  Maybe there are only a few users affected; or perhaps people aren’t (like us) concerned.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks for the thread.  I found the same thing this morning (high CPU by the HP Touchpoint Analytics Client process) and removed the HP Touchpoint Analytics Client software from my system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.