Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I just bought a new Hp pavilion laptop all in one laptop/tablet that runs windows 8. It was working perfectly fine until now.

The laptop starts up fine, the hp logo is displayed and the login screen appears. After I enter the password, it begins to loads but then just becomes a black screen. My cursor is visible but nothing else happens.

I've restarted the laptop multiple times. Please help. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Please use F11, press it straight after booting the unit. Press it several times to make sure you gain access to the recovery manager.

Then, when you are there, select the Language on the first screen and then "Troubleshooting". Then select advanced options. In this menu select system restore, to return your system to a date prior to the issue started.

In case you don't have any restore points, on the "Troubleshooting" menu, select "System Refresh", it reinstalls the system without deleting your personal data.

In case you can boot in safe mode, try to look for a program called "SearchProtect" and if you find it, try to uninstall it.

Let me know the outcome of the above suggestions.

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

Emor9, welcome to the forum.

When requesting help you should always include the make/model (i.e. p6-xxxx) of the computer and/or monitor. This information is necessary for us to review the specifications of them.  Here is a guide to help you find the model.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended
From the label its says the model is 11-n010dx. I can't use the system itself to get the information so I just have the label.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Have you installed any windows updates? 

Try to press F11 when you power on the unit, then select troubleshoot and then try to use system restore to restore to a previsou date in time. See if this works for you. If not, try to follow the same steps and instead os system restore, select System Refresh. 

Let us know if this helped you out!

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended

I found this posting. We are using two HP Pavilion 23 with Windows 8.1 installed when purchased them from Best Buy one month ago. Both were were working properly yesterday with no signs of problems. This morning they were both booted. One is working, the other is not. One of the machines, protected with MicroTrend, will boot, shows HP logo, goes to password. At the bottom of the screen beneath the password is a notification that a Windows update needs to be installed. Password is entered and goes to blank screen. The screen is not totally dark but there is a faint luminescence and the mouse cursor is working. I tried to get to Safe Mode (unplugged for 10 sec, tried F11, F8, F4 separately) and could not enter Safe Mode. I could get into Task Manager (Ctrl,Alt,Del). After all these things I now bring up a grey screen, shades of grey and white, but can no longer get the HP logo, or anything else including Task Manager. I am stuck.

HP Recommended

Update on the two HP23: The mottled grey screen went blank and the HP logo and app screen came up. I entered the password and now I have the black screen with the mouse cursor back.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem with daughter's HP Envy 20 touchsmart all in one.  I can't find an answer anywhere on how to fix this problem.  Would love to know the answer if you can find it.  Right now, I have a very expensive paperweight and am not happy about it as this is my second HP with problems that I can not seem to get an answer to.

HP Recommended

I am having the same rpoblem with my HP Envy 20 all in one touch smart.  It does not recognize the keyboard or the mouse, just get the sign in screen, enter password and a dark blue screen.  Please help, I am very frsutrated and have been posting the lack of cooperation from HP thus far with the problem on my facebook.  Dude, you guys are not building much of a rep with your customer service and tech support.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Please use F11, press it straight after booting the unit. Press it several times to make sure you gain access to the recovery manager.

Then, when you are there, select the Language on the first screen and then "Troubleshooting". Then select advanced options. In this menu select system restore, to return your system to a date prior to the issue started.

In case you don't have any restore points, on the "Troubleshooting" menu, select "System Refresh", it reinstalls the system without deleting your personal data.

In case you can boot in safe mode, try to look for a program called "SearchProtect" and if you find it, try to uninstall it.

Let me know the outcome of the above suggestions.

THanks,

Hugo M. Lemos
HP Recommended
Thank you, this seemed to fix the problem. My laptop is up and running.

Thank you so much.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.