Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ENVY 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Can someone help me?

I've had my all-in-one for about two years and never tried to use the HDMI port. Only now that I bought an LG ultrawide monitor (to use as a second monitor) and it doesn't work. It doesn't even detect/recognize the monitor when I plug it in, but the monitor works fine with my laptop computer.

What can I do?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @LillianBS,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I came across your post about the display issue, and wanted to help!  I understand that you are trying to connect an external monitor, without success.

Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number: 

HP Customer Support - Products

Once I have that information, I can better assist you with your issue.  Looking forward to your reply.

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi!

I'm sorry it took a while, I was away on business.

Here's the info I got:

HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d494 All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)

Model #: F3D93AA
Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Hello @LillianBS,

Thank you for the information!

Based on the Product Specifications of the desktop, the HDMI port is HDMI input.  You should only be able to connect devices to use your monitor, to use it as an external display, for that particular device.  I hope this helps.

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution", this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Now.. I tried hard.

How do I connect the computer to a second screen?

is there a way?

I'm so surprised, I never thought there was such thing as a just IN or OUT HDMI port.

HP Recommended

Taking over for @SDF15. If a computer has an HDMI port and there is a button on the computer labelled "HDMI In" what that button does is toggle the HDMI connection between being an input or an output. This is commonly seen on All-in-One computer types to allow the display to be used as a display with something like game console. When the HDMI port is set as an output (toggled again), then you can connect another display to it, and either extend the display or mirror it.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for helping, but I believe my computer doesn't have that button, does it?

HP ENVY TouchSmart 23se-d494 All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)

Model #: F3D93AA
Serial #: [Personal Information Removed]

HP Recommended

Just upgrade HP My Display driver from http://www.portrait.com/dtune/hpw/enu/upgrade.html, it will work for Windows 10.

HP Recommended

Mine just says HDMI, nothing else.  No in or out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.