Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 700-230qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just upgraded my HP ENVY 700-230qe PC with HP ENVY 27 monitor to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Build 1607). After this upgrade, I was no longer able to open the PC’s HP My Display software (version 2.21.006—the Windows 10 compatible version) which previously had been working normally with Windows 10 Build 1511. Whenever I clicked on the display software, I would receive the following pop-up error message:

“HP MyDisplay has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working   correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available.”

Of course no solution was offered. Every time I repeated the operation, the software crashed. I subsequently took the following steps in an unsuccessful effort to fix:

• Updated PC’s GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT640) to most current driver
  • Reinstalled monitor driver to ensure latest version
  • Uninstalled and re-installed HP My Display v2.21.006 (HP ftp sp74939)

But no luck. After taking above actions, still unable to open HP My Display, receiving same error message. Apparently the Windows 10 Anniversary Update has inserted a conflict with proper operation of this software.

Any suggestions for fixing the situation? Thank you in advance.

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Hi there @Uncle_Sugar,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that after upgrading to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10 the My display software is no longer working for you.  I am happy to help with this.

Looking at the support page for the display the My Display software, was released Mar 2, 2016, so it has not been updated. Also I have not heard of this particular issue as yet from others, so it may be something else going on.

Worst case scenario, you can always rollback the Anniversary edition for now if you like, as long as it is within 10 days of the installation, otherwise that is not an option.

You can try and see if there is some other software conflicting, and a place to start with that is: HP PCs - Slow Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10, 😎 and  HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10).

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Malygris1, thank you for your reply.

As suggested, I've done additional troublshooting in an effort to enable proper opening of my PC's HP My Dislay software since upgrading Windows 10 to the new Anniversary Edition. These additional steps have included:

• Running System File Checker tool (sfc /scannow) - result, no integrity violations identified
  • Perfoming Clean Boot - result, same error message received when opening HP My Display
  • Opening Safe Mode - result, same error message received
  • Running HP My Display in Windows 8 Compatibility Mode - result, same error message received

My suspicion still is that my HP My Display crash issue is associated with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. However, at this juncture, I'm not ready to accept the worst case scenario and revert to the prior Windows 10 build for the sake of this one program.

Hopefully we'll hear from some people who have either encountered the same problem--or, instead, have experienced no issues with HP My Display after updating Windows 10 to the latest build.

One measure I'll try again is to uninstall HP My Display from my PC--and perform a more thorough removal, including any residual folders/files and registry entries relating to this software. Then I'll reinstall the program in the hope that any possible  prior corruptions were not retained and reused. This methodology has assisted me in the past when I've experienced problems with specific individaul programs.

In any case, I would appreciate more suggestions as to other actions I could take to solve this particular issue.

HP Recommended

As mentioned above, I completely uninstalled HP My Display from my HP ENVY desktop PC, including deleting any and all File Explorer and registry entries related to this software. After restarting ny PC, I downloaded HP My Display (Windows 10  version 2.21.006) directly from the originating Portrait Displays website (portrait.com), instead of from HP ftp sp74939, which I had used previously. After installing the replacement software and restarting again, I opened the program--and, alas, same issue: HP My Display doesn't open and instead crashes, displaying the same pop-up error message ("HP MyDisplay has stopped working....."). Again it appears as if the program is just not compatible with Windows 10 Anniversary Update.

Does anybody have any further suggestions for possible solution. I would be appreciative.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem. It happened to me when I updated my computer to the Anniversary Update. I also just completed building a new pc (with all new hardware and drivers) also with Win10 Anniv. Update and the same thing happened on the new computer. I have a 27xw monitor. First I get a window that says "enumerating display devices", then i get the spinning wheel like its going to open, then an error message. See the screenshots below in order. Please provide a patch. Thanks

Win1.PNG

Win3.PNG

Win2.PNG

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same problem.

HP Recommended

I should have followed the suggestion of someone above.

I have a Dell Alienware laptop. When I went to the Dell support page and downloaded the original graphics drivers, everything started working again.

HP Recommended

Hello to all,

I've the same identical problem, on my HP Envy 15 and monitor Pavilion 24cw.

After the Windows 10 Anniversary installation, the HP My Display app hangs (first in a tentative to map monitor 1 and secondarly in the looping circle start), then the system kills the program.

Reading above, I've installed fresh Nvidia drivers for my graphic card (GeForce GT 740M), signed by 23 sept., but nothing changed. Now i've uninstalled the program and written to Portrait inc, but I doubt they will reaply - as there isn't a specific contact mail or form for this program (that's bad, though).

If anyone has news, can gracefully post them here?

Many thanks!

Luciano

HP Recommended

I´ve the same problem

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello

I solved the problem by following this procedure:
- Uninstall the existing version HPMyDisplay
- Download and install latest drivers of my graphic card (NVidia GeForce 840M in my pc)
- Reinstall the latest version of HPMyDisplay.

Restart pc.

Works fine, now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.