Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z1 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Z1 workstation (purchased in juni 2012). This has a 27" display.

Since a couple of days the left side of the display is noticeably darker than the right side.

Is there a way to repair this?Bestand_25-09-17_16_29_52(1).jpg

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi

Do you have a different monitor you could connect to your PC?

This would allow you to isolate if this is a monitor problem or a workstation problem.

Then you can determine if this issue is a PC hardware or PC software problem.

Grzy

HP Recommended

I connected a monitor to my pc and on the external monitor the left isn't darker so I presume that the problem is with the screen of my Z1.

HP Recommended

Hi migsn

Not following what you did.

The objective is to either: (1) connect a different monitor to the Z1, or (2) connect the monitor now connected to the Z1 to a different PC. Either monitor test can be done.

1. Same result using a different monitor suggests a Z1 problem (driver or hardware). The screen image problem occurs on one or more monitors.

2. Same result on a different PC suggests a monitor problem. The screen image problem follows the monitor to a different PC.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz,

The HP Z1 workstation is an all-in-one computer.

I connected an external monitor to the computer. The problem does not occur on the external monitor.

gr.

HP Recommended

Hi migsn

Thanks for the additional info.

I tried to locate HP Z71 with no hits in HP's product database.

Assumed it was a desktop.

No monitor image problems on an external monitor means you have a problem isolated to the All-In-One.

Try updating the graphics driver.

No luck with this means the monitor backlight is failing or some other hardware problem.

Contact HP if in warranty or have a local tech diagnose the cause.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Is it possible to replace the backlight and/or inverter on the HP Z1?

HP Recommended

Hi

You should be able to replace the backlight or screen inverter if this is the problem.

Contact HP Support or talk to a local PC tech for confirmation and cost to replace.

Tom

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my HP Z1 g2, except it's the right side of the screen that is dim.  Also, my unit is emitting a high pitch noise as well.  I connected the display port on the z1 to a second monitor (to check it, as recommended) and the image on the second monitor is fine (no dimness).  Also, when if I turn off the z1 display (just keep the image on second monitor) the high pitch noise stops as well.  So it appears to be bad display.

migsn, did you ever get your problem fixed?  If so, what did you do?

My inclination is to replace the display.  But I want to be be sure that will fix it.  Thanks for any feedback!

HP Recommended

Similar problem... I have sent an email to my go-to PC fixer but thought I should try here too for any extra input.. Did anybody manage to get theirs fixed and was it hugely expensive?

IMG_20181006_201945.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.