Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This is a new Z27n G2 monitor connected to a HP docking station for Elitebook via displayport. 

I have two external monitors of the same resolution (Asus PB278 is the  other one). This is not a windows 10 issues as it does not do the random dimming on the Asus or a smaller Dell monitors.  The issue is that after power on, and go to say Photo or Custom mode where the brightness/contrast was adjusted to match the other monitor.  Sometime into usage, the screen will just dim a bit. Looks like Windows 10 adaptive dimming but there is no sensors on the laptop and that option is not available. I will have to manually select the monitor mode back to Custom. it says Dynamic contrast is off.  So my guess is Dynamic contrast was turn back on automatically somehow? It doesn't matter what the ambient light condition is or what's on the screen.

Driver is the current one from Windows.  I even down graded to ones on HP site, with no luck.  HP Display Center sees the monitor (gives the name) and serial number, but will not communicate to it.  I have tried default DP cable that came with it and no luck. Swap out different DP ports on the docking station, no luck.  The docking station do not have HDMI or USB C so i can't check that out.

Firmware is LIM283. 

Thanks

TM

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem, I have the same monitor and it will auto-dim whenever something darker is displayed on the screen. Same behavior when I connect my MacBook and my Xbox. It’s very annoying. 

HP Recommended

Good. i am not the only one.  The same thing do happen something when i have light/dark items on the screen like moving one window to another screen and this HP monitor will decides to dim. Bbut most time it will just dim with no reason. I called tech support when i got the display and was told do to the usual, update drivers, reset to default and make sure the monitor OSD settings are correct. They said it is the windows problem. I don't think so as my old Asus monitor and other older (3 years old) lower resolution HP monitors were fine with the exact same setup (cable and etc). 

I wished i can return the monitor, but may have to get rid of this one if HP can't assist in fixing it.

HP Recommended

@tmz94 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried various "fixes" including regedit, Intel graphics command center, driver downgrade and etc with no luck.  While folks are saying this is Windows 10 issue with the dynamic contrast,  the monitor will still self dim a bit when nothing has changed on the screen, and the other monitor does not dim.  Good luck in resolving this Bthomp2000. 

HP Recommended

I have just same problem. I managed to take off  Dynamic Contrast -> (HP display Center). After next boot and Dynamic Contrast on again on.....Windows 10....

HP Recommended

HP Display center can't even communicate to the HP monitor from a HP laptop.  It can see it (identify the model number) but can't communicate. HP Display Center can communicate an older non-HP monitor. Going to borrow a comparative other brands and see.

HP Recommended

It's the dynamic contrast setting on the monitor not a computer OS  level setting. I reset my monitor from the monitor menu "Management > Factory Reset > Yes" and then changed to the power mode to "Performance" and that fixed everything.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem with the same monitor you have.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.