Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue resolved:

Had bitlocker enabled for several months, then decided to see what HP security monitor was. Upon activating it it setup its own encrption which allowed login after reboot but in trying to enter bitlocker's pin only received "incorrect pin". After much frustrating hours researching, being told by HP that it was impossible to recover, I decided to play around a little more in command line (power up, press escape key continually and then F11 when possible, go into advanced options, and open command line). What finally fixed it for me was:

X:\windows\system32>  Bootrec.exe /fixmbr

X:\windows\system32>  Bootrec.exe /fixboot

X:\windows\system32>  Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

X:\windows\system32>  Bootrec.exe /scanos     

(found 0 os so then tried)

X:\windows\system32>  Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

After this I shut it down, started it up and it bypassed the HP login and went to bitlocker’s login. After logging in it let me into Windows, so now I am working to disable and eradicate HP’s security suite… =P

Hopefully this will work for you too regardless of the primary encryption protocol that is in place...

HP Recommended

I had a similar issue.

After trying:

Bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force

I 'm getting:
C:\ <\\?\Volume{29144347-a77a-11e4-9351..etc}

Could not open the volume root directory:

Invalid argument

Of course, because hard drive is encrypted and i can't bypass TMP - there is no option for typing a TMP password.

So this does not help, and I see no other option than to wipe the disk 😕

HP Recommended

Wiping the OS won't help as the WinMagic will persist. It's on a hidden part of the drive and you can't remove it. I've finally given up and just replaced the hdd.

HP Recommended

You must wipe HDD, re-imaging it with (non-encrypted) Windows, then boot from it, install HP Client Security, and disable security functions in settings.

Never again... :indifferent:

HP Recommended

hello,

i am having the same problem. can you tell me how you you were able to 'decrypt' the drive?

thank you.

HP Recommended

Holy cow guys.. I was just searching how to clone an HP encrypted drive on a new zbook and came across this thread.   After reading this stuff, it makes me want to remove my the HP encryption from my drive now, since i've just had the zbook a few days.

Is the encryption that problematic?

HP Recommended

As i wrote above.

There is no way to decrypt the drive (drive with mentioned problem). You must wipe HDD, etc.

MichelleST > Yes, it is.

Our way is now W8 Pro > Bitlocker. You can read damaged drive in other "Bitlocker ready" computer (after typing password). So, there is no problem.

HBMatrix > Yep, Windows installer isn't best tool for wiping HDD :generic:

HP Recommended

wiping the HDD by re-installing the OS will NOT remove the winmagic incryption. The Winmagic partition is a hidden partition and is protected. We WERE finally able to wipe it by using a Linux program.

HP Recommended

Does anyone know if I can leave the HP Client Security Manager installed, use the finger print to register passwords, but use bitlocker instead of the winmagic encryption?

Thanks

Michelle

HP Recommended

Michelle> Drive encryption from HP is "separate" utility/function, called "HP Drive Encryption Software". You can use another drive encryption utility (no install/use HP Drive Encryption). And in Windows environment you can use functions of HP Client Security Manager, like fingerprint.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.