Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 1160t
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My Hard Drive is going bad so I need to replace it, how do I re install the OS as I did nto seem to get a Windows CD with my computer when I bought it.  In the past when buying Dell or IBM Thinkpads I always got an OS disk with the machine but not with the HP ?

43 REPLIES 43
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has a process where the customer is supposed to make a set of recovery media when they first got the PC, by using the Recovery Manager software.

Since it is too late for you to do that, your only option would be to order recovery media from HP.

If this is your model (HP Pavilion HPE h8-1160t CTO Desktop PC), here is the link to order recovery media.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/mediaorder/HP-Pavilion-HPE-h8-1100-Desktop-PC-series/5146418/model/5155...

You can also do this if you can still read all 25 characters of the W7 product key on your PC's case...

This site claims to have genuine, unadulterated W7 ISO files for download...

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Click on the link labeled Windows ISO Downloader.exe

You can use the:

Win 7 Home Premium/Professional (as applicable to the product key) SP1 COEM (This version would be for what HP would have used--System Builder)

N is for European Union (EU) countries.

K is for South Korean markets.

Then you can use this tool to transfer the file to a 4 GB USB flash drive or a DVD.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

HP Recommended

Actually I did create 4 recovery disk CD's  I was wondering if like Dell or IBM they actually gave you an OS install disk but obviously HP does not do that.  Now I have another issue the Disk that HP used is so expensive I am not sure it is worth it as it costs $100 and its an old PC

HP Recommended

You don't need to buy an HP disk.

You can get a nice 1 TB HDD for much less than $100.

For example...

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cache-Desktop-Drive-WD10EZEX/dp/B0088PUEPK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=149454...

Your PC is still fairly modern, so you may want to put $50 into it, but that is up to you.

HP Recommended

How do I know which disks are compatible with that PC  ? 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,   Is that disk in the link you sent compatible with my HP Computer

HP Recommended

Yes, that particular disk drive should work just fine in your PC.

HP Recommended

> How do I know which disks are compatible with that PC  ? 

Since you have a "consumer" (not a "server") desktop (not laptop) PC, almost every new (not "used")  "consumer" 3.5-inch-wide ("desktop") disk-drive will be compatible with your computer.  Avoid those "server" disk-drives, with 'SAS' or 'SCSI' connectors.   Stick with disk-drives under 2000 GB (two terabytes), because that is the limit for some older motherboards.

HP Recommended

Now I am in big trouble I ordered that Disk Drive and it arrived today but it will not work in this computer as it has a different power supply socket than the old one, now I have to return it to Amazon so I am worse off now , the current drive has one row of 4 pins for the power supply cord but the new one has 2 rows of 4 pins

This is one reason why I probably would never buy an HP system again as one cannot even call them and this forum is only support and it led me down the wrong path to a solution

HP Recommended

That make no sense.

The disk you ordered is a standard sata hard drive, and the PC should have a standard sata data cable and black sata power connector coming from the power supply

The black sata power connector plugs into the left side connector on the lower left in the picture below and the data cable plugs into the smaller data connector to the right of it.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.