Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Windows Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
So I installed windows 10 a couple weeks ago and it's run just fine until now. I booted it on today and it just gave me a blue screen with the sad face and the WDF_VIOLATION error but it did not show the gathering information text. I beleieve several other people have had this problem when trying to connect something to their conputer such as their game controller. I however did not do anything like that. The only things I have on my usb ports are my logitech keyboard and mouse, my Huidon Tablet, and my phone which I use for tethering. So back to the point, My computer simy restarted like the message said it would, and it did.But hen it just ended up doing the same thing over and over again. It occasionally said that it was running the automatic repairs but that ended up crashing with the same WDF_VIOLATION message. So I tried to look online for solutions and some of the said to unplug the power chord in attempt to stop the processes. Welp, I turned it back on and it just shows a black screen now. I can't do anything such as a hard reset because it just won't let me in anymore. I've rried almost everyhting I could find but none of them worked. Someone please give me a fresh soulution as quickly as possible please!! I am mostly a novice at this computer stuff and probably lert out some info in this post. Just ask and I'll try my best to answer it.
HP ENVY 23
Windows 10
116 REPLIES 116
HP Recommended

Hi there @JohnnyPham

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel. I understand that you are getting a WDF_VIOLATION message and a black screen. It is not my forte, but I will see if I can help you with  this.

I did some searching and found this page. I have not tested it myself, and it refers to a Blue Screen, but the suggested steps sound reasonable to me. I would suggest reading through it carefully, and give it a try.

How To Fix WDF_VIOLATION Blue Screen Errors (BugCheck 0x10D) - solvusoft.com

Let me know if it makes any difference. I would really appreciate the feedback, especially if someone comes on with a similar problem. If it does not help also let me know, and I will try to find something else.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.  I too have the envy 23, we got the cycling of the wdf violation and now have black screen.  I have lights the hard drive does turn on the disk drive does come on also.  I have no keyboard (its the wireless) so cant get to bios etc.  I removed the ram and got the error beeps when starting but still nothing but a black screen.

HP Recommended

I have had exactly the same with a HP Envy 23 on the 7 November 2015 (NZ time). Has it been caused by a HP update?

HP Recommended

That does nothing.  Please advise to fix.  Seems like there are a few with this problem.

HP Recommended

The link didn't solve my problem, as I have a blank screen on my HP Envy 23, so am unable to do anything. As others are having the same problem, it would be good to know whether it is a HP issue, Windows 10 issue, or an incompatibility between HP Eny 23 and Windows 10.

HP Recommended

I also have the same issue described on an HP Envy 23. Updated to Win 10, few weeks later got the WDF_Violation and it kept cycling. Now I just have a black screen with no cursor. Can someone at HP please respond on this.

HP Recommended

Gareth, don't hold your breath waiting for HP to respond!

I suppose it is time for an update on my situation. I took the computer into a reputable OIT repair shop. They had the Envy for two weeks before finally looking at it, and telling me that they thought it needed a new main board and that HP would have to do that.

I then tried to contact HP through the website. Oh joy! I eventually got through to the online chat last Wednesday. The person on the other end of the line said it was worth trying a recovery disk. As  I can't find my recovery disk, I am now waiting for one to come in the post to NZ from Siongapore.

So another week goes by, and still HP haven't responded to the posts on this forum thread.

The key question is whether this is a hardware or software fault, and is it linked to Windows 10?

HP Recommended
Finally! A post that has the exact same problems that I'm experiencing. Ran a system test from the bios, it said everything passed. Restarted itself and on the Windows logo showed "automatic updates". Then through the never ending cycle of wdf_violation. It has come to the point where I've reseated all cards. Uninstalled/installed cpu. On boot up I don't even get the hp logo. I've tried blank screen resetting bios with no luck. I'm lost. Please help.
HP Recommended
So I figured out what was happening. I sent my computer on a 2 month trip to India and it camw back repaired. I looked at the problems on the report and saw that the reason that this happened was due to the windows 10 driver error. So apperently, when I recently installed windows 10, there was an error with the update. So blame windows 10 for yoir problems and if you dont have windows 10, then lord help you. So the only way to fix this that I could find was to either send it to HP or find someone equally as skilled. This doesn't mean that you have to replace ypur hard drive because the HP dudes were able to access my files and put it into the new hard drive. Calling HP WILL NOT HELP. So save your time and just find a techincian skilled enough. Hope this helps
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.