Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 15" Late 2016
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anyone else having serious issues with an HP Omen Hinge? I expected a laptop that cost roughly $1,700+ to have no issues of this nature. Am just trying to reach out and see how many others are experiencing the same problems. I am no longer under warranty, and really have no interest in shipping my Omen to HP for "repairs." This really should have never been an issue in the first place, considering I have read countless posts reporting the same issue for the HP Envy and the HP Omen. Thanks, would love to hear input regarding how screwed up the hinges are. Wonder if there is any way I could take it to a third party for repair, as I've lost faith in HP entirely and likely will not be a returning customer in the future.  

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@garbagecollecto

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Not interested in HP's "support" at this time, as my warranty has expired and I see no reason I should have to pay for an issue I have seen and read about FAR too many times. I'd like to see what other HP omen users have to say about your defective hinges, the same hinges you'd like to charge people to "replace." 

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Omen - still under warranty, but the case has completely split at the right hinge.  It gradually cracked, then separated a large chunk of the plastic case from the lower part of the laptop. I agree that this should not be an issue with a computer at this price point where no "accident" or misuse has occurred.

HP Recommended

@willoweezie

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I am also having a serious issue with my HP Omen Hinge, and I am also no longer under warranty but due to the amount of people I have also found experiencing the same problem I believe this is unacceptable and HP should be held responsible.I paid over $2200 canadian for this laptop, and the moment I opened it, it was already defective with the touch screen jumping all over the screen whether or not it the screen was being pressed, to the point you could not control the computer without disabling the touch function with fn+t. I also found some class action lawsuits against HP regarding laptops and hinge problems, where "the company may have known about the defect before selling the laptops, misleading and deceiving consumers", leading me to believe this is product design negligence. 

Furthermore I do not believe this was properly taken care of when I had sent it in for repair, as it came back with more problems.  I sent it in to get fixed and when it came back the hinges were loose, and one corner of the laptop was lifting the top keyboard base from the bottom base which has been getting more separated. I now regret not addressing these problems and sending it right back to HP after I received it, before my warranty ended because a loose hinge turned into a devastating problem that is now curving my laptop lid and distorting the metal on the top case and the whole screen wobbles if walking while holding laptop.

I bought this laptop as a student and all of this should have never been an issue in the first place if HP had designed a proper hinge built for reasonable use, as a $1700USD+ laptop should be. It is a GAMING laptop meant for use and transport, and when paying $1700USD+ the customer should receive hardware that isn't plagued by design negligence. The forums and internet are full of people with the EXACT SAME HINGE PROBLEM! If this isn't alarming and HP doesn't take notice and fix this for the customers, I will have also lost all faith in HP and will NOT BE RETURNING in the future!

garbagecollecto, I would like to know if HP has done anything to assist you with you're problem, as there are many other experiencing the same issue?

hingehinge

lifting up bottom from top baselifting up bottom from top base

There are numerous other threads that have brought up their experience with the exact same issue;

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-hinge-falling-apart-more-and-more-each-day/td...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-OMEN-Hinge-Problem/td-p/5592820

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/Hp-Omen-Loose-Hinge/td-p/5323682

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-Omen-Hinge-Issue/td-p/5400546

I could keep going, but is apparent there is a design flaw in the hinge of HP Omen gaming laptops.

HP Recommended

@outhere1

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
The Hp Omen is garbage nothing but trouble 11months old the hinge cracked when opened, screen flickers, doesn't charge when on, shuts down error report 90b, the fan doesn't work. The customer service in India accused us of dropping the machine and said the normal wear and tear in the photo I sent through was evidence. They lie and accuse so as they don't have to honour the warrantee and faulty dangerous piece of plastic. Can't call it a laptop it's garbage!!! Don't ever buy from HP.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am posting about my son's 2015 HP Omen 15t. The hinge has failed and the screen is loose. We bought it from Costco in May of 2015 and the extended warranty expired last may. The hinge started failing right after that. The laptop is unusable in its current condition. I would be interested in finding out if you have service options for what is clearly a defect.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

[edit] Most of us dumped upwards of $1500 on a laptop that has inherent defects. We deserve to be amply compensated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.