Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Omen 17-cb1005na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant doesn't launch the HP Diagnostics app as it used to. Instead, it launches the web browser and takes you to the webpage where to download it.

I manually re-download it again and run the installer but when it comes to launching it at the end, it says 'hphwdiag cannot run without administrator privileges'. As it's a recently installed app, it shows up at the top of my Start Menu so I right-click on it from there and 'run as administrator' and it works. But this is the only it will open. On my previous OMEN laptop it launched directly from HPSA fine.

My machine is brand new and I have the only account on it. I have reset and reinstalled Windows 3 times and it still won't work properly. I have also tried creating different accounts. 

Is this a problem with the latest version HP Diagnostics for Windows?

Thank You

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101

Welcome to the HP support community.

If HP Assistant does not open, use the following steps to restore your computer to a previous date when HP Support Assistant opened properly.

1. In Windows, search for and open Run.

2. Type RSTRUI.EXE, then press Enter.

Restore system files and settings window opens.

Figure : Restore system files and settings window

Restore system files and settings window

Click Next.

3. In the Date and Time column, select a date when HP Support Assistant opened properly.

Figure : Selecting a Date and Time

Selecting a Date and Time

Click Next.

4. Confirm you restore point date, then click Finish.

Figure : Clicking Finish

Confirm your restore point with Finish selected

The next time you click the HP Support Assistant icon , HP Support Assistant will open.

You can refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

I hope that helps.

Thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Support Assistant isn't the problem, HP Diagnostics is. I can't restore to an earlier point when the program worked because it's a brand new laptop.

Please do me the cortosey of actually READING the post next time instead of just wanting to be the first to answer.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101

It seemed like the HPSA is corrupt, which is why I suggested you to remove and install it again that said, if it didn't work, please uninstall HPSA and the hardware diagnostics program you have installed, create a new user account and then, check if it works.

Refer this document for steps to create new account:- click here

I hope that helps.

Thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've uninstalled and reinstalled HPSA multiple times. I've created multiple accounts and even reinstalled Windows twice. 

HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101

I request you to talk to HP support.

They might have multiple options to help you with this.

1. Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true
  2. Select the country.
  3. Enter the serial of your device.
  4. Select the country from the drop-down.
  5. Click on "Show Options".
  6. Fill the web-form. A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

There's been an update since which I think has fixed the issue.

Thank you

HP Recommended

@Dr-Soong0101

Good to know that issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us in the future if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.