Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have owned this laptop for 6 months.

Whenever I start a game, it runs fine for the first hour or two. But afterwards it either drops frames or gets lower framerates in general. This happens when plugged in. Months ago the same games were running flawlessly. I have tried numerous solutions i've read, including

-BIOS Update

-Reinstalling GPU Drivers

-Reinstalling the games

-Ensured all unnecessary programs (including startup) are not open when I'm playing

-Scanned for Malware (detected none, tested with McAfee, Kaspersky, and Malwarebytes)

-Defragged Hard Drives

I've also ensured my drivers are always up to date and my laptop is propped up on a book to ensure good airflow underneath. Nvidia control panel settings are also set to push the best performance.

The only thing that works so far is if i restart my laptop. My thermals are fine (CPU 75-90 and GPU 60-70 Celsius) and my hard drives are still spacious. It seems as though i've tried everything and it doesn't work. I have no idea where to go now. 

My specs:

i7-9750H

GTX 1660Ti

8GB 2666Mhz RAM

NVMe 256GB SSD @ 60% Full

7200RPM HDD @ 50% Full

Any help will be appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@lmaoobt , welcome to the forum.

You have done a great job of troubleshooting and explaining what you did!!

What is the product number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. Here is a guide to help you find it:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Before you reply to my question, here is a guide that may help you:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05525831

Your thermals on the high-end of the range that you stated are getting close to the maximum.  So, I suggest that you make certain that you have a hard surface on your lap when playing games.  The temperature in your room should be considered, also.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

.@old_geekster , first of all thank you for the welcome :). I've checked out my product ID and it is the following:

8WN34PA#AR6

The temperature in my room is generally pretty normal in temperature, not too hot nor frigid, but i do use it more in the evenings at around 25-20 degrees celsius. And I use the laptop only on a flat table and the aforementioned book elevations i added for airflow.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @lmaoobt!

I reviewed the specifications of your laptop and you should have no problems with higher frame-rates (FPS).  I suggest that you clean your laptop thoroughly to assure that the vents allow good airflow into the case.  Here is a fairly generic guide to help you systematically work through improving the FPS:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/omen-by-hp-15-dc1000-laptop-pc-series/26122182/model/32125974/d...

If none of the steps improve your FPS, you may have to do a System Recovery to reinstall Windows.  Sometimes glitches can occur over time that will cause a degradation in performance.  This is a way to possibly fix the problem.

One other thought.  Since the FPS gradually go down over time, it could be the heat that is causing the problem.  It is not severe enough to shut the laptop down, but enough to cause a loss of FPS.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.