Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
Omen by HP 2018 15-dc0045nr,
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I looking to see how I can replace this thin clip that has snapped.  it is the LAN Clip that hold the RJ45 cable in place.  unfortunately through pulling the cable in an out is has broken.  it is a very poor design in my opinion.  Is this a part that is worth replacing and if so is there a specific part number?  The other question is can my son replace it with a Gigabit Ethernet Card (Belkin) that connect to one of the USB 3.0or USB-C  slots?  will this support the games data exchange vs the actual ethernet port?  My sons Computer is and HP Omen 2018 15-Dc0045nr.  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@mcalimli wrote:

...  Is this a part that is worth replacing and if so is there a specific part number?  ...

@mcalimli 

I can't find part for you. It is up to you, please note: up to 95% on NIC ports do not have cover. Or you can buy

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001245287.html?spm=2114.search0302.3.58.3b8c21c1DW3aDs&ws_ab_test=...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

it is not a dust cover.  this spring loaded clip holds the LAN/Ethernet cable in place..it locks it in place.  As it is broken the cable doesnt hold.  Even trying to tape the cable in place is not successful because of the position of where the cable is.  This is identical to this post:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Notebooks/HP-OMEN-2018-ethernet-port-clip-broken/td-p/7219564

I just didn't see any specific fix which is why i asked if using a USB-C Ethernet card is fine to use on this gaming computer.

HP Recommended

@mcalimli wrote:

it is not a dust cover. 

@mcalimli 

I know, it is a plastic cover, you can open and shut. It does the same job as a dust cover.

Updated: Just checking my machine, it does not have that fancy thing. I don't use it because I only need HDMI port for external monitor and USB port for a docking station. I cover the rest with normal tapes

omen ports.jpg

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

This is not a cover....it is ethernet cable clip that is spring loaded to hold the cable tight.  given that it is broke the ethernet cable cannot stay in place connected.  Again this is not a cover. It is a clip to hold the cable in place

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.