Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended

I spoke to the HP customer support of my country and they told me this isn't a known issue (?!)

I will send my pc to support in order for them to fix it but I'm worried this problem will be only delayed on the fixed device.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with my R key (using another computer now to type this). It started happening on day 92 after I purchased it, 2 days after the 90 day warranty. They told me the best they can do is replacing the keyboard for $240, with another 90 day warranty on that. But what's to stop it from happening again? I literally did nothing to cause this. Not sure that I can ever buy another HP again, this is such a bummer.

HP Recommended

Same issue. It's not a problem with the keyboard sticking. I verified the key is clean. For me it's the x key, to which I need to use an onscreen keyboard. It started having issues maybe ~3 months after I bought it. It was intermittent when I noticed it, but after another couple of weeks the key is entirely nonresponsive. The thing runs rather hot when I'm utilizing it and it makes me wonder if it's a manufacturing issue.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with H...and since there is an H in my name, it is rather inconvenient...

HP Recommended

Just wanted to update the issue. It's been a few weeks. The problem has gotten significantly worse in that time. Now it's multiple keys and I noticed that the backlight doesn't work either, though I'm not sure when that stopped. It very well could have been before and I just didn't realize it.

That said, I was able to get an repair order from HP. The process was relatively painless. As usual they have the tech diagnosing the issue look at completely irrelevant things and it took a little over an hour. I had to install their remote tech software to allow the guy to check various updates and drivers, which meant applying every single update whether related or not and all the associated reboots (which is why it took as long as it did). He was very pleasant and professional to work with and I know he is just doing his job so I didn't want to be annoyed at him for it.

Unfortunately that means shipping the laptop back and potentially losing everything on it during the process as they indicated they may need to factory reset it. I'm on travel and can't just send off the laptop I'm working on, but he shipped the free return package to my home address and said if I don't end up back home by then just call in and get an extension or a new return authorized and they'll take care of it then. He indicated the process takes about a week. In the meantime, since I can't functionally use the device without a working keyboard I picked up an iClever bluetooth/usb foldable travel keyboard. It works very well, the only issue I had was I needed to turn the repeat key function in Windows down but once I did that it's amazing. If someone needs a cheap alternative that's tablet/pc/laptop compatible while working on getting a return setup or until one can send it in I'd recommend it.

Since this seems a relatively common problem, has anyone ascertained a definitive cause? I'm not certain if it's coincidence or not but I had no issues until after I utilized the omen light controls to enable the backlights. The software shows that the backlight is still on when I go into the configuration, so clearly that's still trying to light the keyboard up. I think once I do get it fixed I'll just avoid enabling the backlight system at all. The laptop gets super hot at times and I'm very heavily leaning in the direction that this is a heat dispersion/manufacturing issue.

HP Recommended

@Niil945

Thank you for posting back.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate it, however the issue is/will be resolved already. I have a repair ticket already approved and have received the return box at my home address, I'm just travelling atm and will follow up on the matter once I return home.

HP Recommended

@Niil945

Thank you for posting back.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.
Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having this same issue. I sent it in to HP for repair - they said they "replaced the keyboard cover" and sent it back under warranty. The issue persists. How is HP going to rectify this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.