Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520

Hi

When I select the ePrint button on my printer (and then accept the Ts&Cs and auto-downloads), I get the following message: 'The printer was unable to connect to the server. Check the Internet connection and try again, or enter a proxy address.'

As the wifi connection between printer and router is fine, I tried configuring a manual DNS server through the EWS (as per this helpful post) with these settings...

HP EWS Screen.PNG

...but when I select Apply, all I get is...

HP EWS Screen 2.PNG

So, my questions are:

1. Will setting a manual DNS server resolve my connectivity issues?
  2. If yes, what settings should I use?
  3. If no, how else should I resolve them?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Invalud Input error returns due to incompatibility of teh pritner homepage with the latest MS Internet Explorer or Edge version.

Please try updating the pritner firmware first, it will likely restore the web services functionality:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/printers/ps5520/PS5520_R1610A.exe

If that doesn't resolve the issue eitehr set compatibility mode for the printer IP address in MS IE or use Google Chrome or Firefox instead.

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Well we have no idea why you are dong that because we have no idea what the problem is.

So why don't you start with a full explanation of what the issue is and model numbers of all equipment involved.

HP Recommended

As stated...

printer is HP Photosmart 5520 series (model number 5524)

wifi link between printer and router is fine (according to wireless n/w test results), but printer is unable to connect to the server when I press the ePrint button.

If you're asking why I'm pressing the ePrint button in the first place, it's because I'm trying to print out a printer info page to get my printer claim code.

HP Recommended

I suggest you reset the printer back to Network Defaults and Factory Defaults.  Reinstall the printer fully.  Also try here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B6DdF44ECQ

HP Recommended

So, to summarise...

I tell you that when I attempt to print an information sheet (containing a printer claim code) I get an error, and your response is to send me a video that shows me how to print an information sheet.

Am I missing something? How does that even begin to address the error that I have?

HP Recommended

Fine.  Call HP then.

HP Recommended

I'll take that as an "I don't know" then. :smileyindifferent:

HP Recommended

Well you are screwing with the DNS settings which you should not be.

Did you reset the printer back to Factory Defaults????

Did you reset the printer back to Network Defaults???

Did you fully remove all HP software and reinstall the printer????

Then watch the video to make sure you are doing it correctly.

HP Recommended

"Screwing with DNS settings..." or not, as they wouldn't save.

Factory Defaults... check

Network Defaults... check

Fully removed & reinstalled printer s/w... check

Error resolved... unfortunately not.

HP Recommended

OK, you have done everything now and checked again.

So now it's time to talk to HP directly.  Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.