Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8600
iOS

Hi Y'all,

I have an Officejet Pro 8600

When I print out an email (not a document, the email itself) from my iphone 6, the printer prints out the email in miniature just in the corner of the page. Literally the text is about 3pts big! Ridiculous!

This also happens on my sons iphone 6S, but not on my Mum's 6+, except she was running iOS 10. Now she's downloaded iOS 11, same issue. Was fine on mine before the new OS too.

I just spent 2 hrs on the phone to Apple and they can't fix it, they say HP need to fix it. Anyone else got the same thing going on and found a way around it?

I can't use the HP app to print as when you are in an email it won't link to it, you have to use Air Print, and it just won't work when it did fine before.

For those who are going to ask the click list is as follows;

Arrow - which gives choices 'Reply, Reply All, Forward, Print

Click Print - takes you to screen with 'Printer (choose printer), Copy (choose number of copies), OPtions (only choices are pages, double sided and B&W)

Click Print top RHS  and it prints....but in miniature!!!

Again for those who will tell me to try it, you cannot print from the Smart App, because it only allows you to print documents, not emails.

HELP!!!

Thanks in advance x

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@AmandaGH

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your  HP Officejet Pro 8600 Printer. I understand that it prints in miniature when you print using Airprint and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well.

AirPrint does not have the option to change the paper size. However, Your printer has a paper sensor, AirPrint automatically adjusts the print size to the detected paper. Your printer has a control panel with the option to change paper sizes, you can change the paper size and the Apple iOS device detects the new paper through AirPrint, and then scales the printout accordingly.

Click here and refer page no:18 in the user guides to access the control panel settings.

NOTE:

If the paper size selected and the paper size loaded are not the same, an error might display on both the printer and device, asking for confirmation that the correct paper is loaded. If the incorrect paper size is loaded, the Apple iOS device scales the printout to the paper size selected on the printer.

Figure : Paper size displayed on Apple iOS device

Paper size displayed on Apple device

If that does not fix the issue, update the printer firmware.

Click here and refer the document to update the printer firmware.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for coming back to me Sandy, I don’t think I have ever printed anything on the printer that isn’t uk a4 size, never changed the settings myself ever, and if it’s randomly changing the paper size setting after the new Apple update, it’s something HP have to fix surely? All the iPhones in my family now running the same 11 OS have the same issue printing an email to this printer. Not documents, emails. I’ve updated the firmware already, still happens.
HP Recommended

@AmandaGH

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: www.hp.com/contacthp

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
I have exactly the same problem since updating to IOS11. Please can you advise if there is any resolution to this issue?

Many thanks
HP Recommended

This issue has been reported and we are looking into what changed in iOS 11 to cause this.

In another thread users have reported that Disabling IPv6 on the printer and then re-selecting the printer in AirPrint will work around the problem.

@owenmj78 posted:

Find the IP address of the printer. If you have a display on your printer, select the wireless connection and the IP address should be displayed. You may also be able to print out a configuration report that should have the IP address.

On any browser (such as Explorer) type that IP address into the address bar. That should take you to the printer settings. (if you use safari on an iOS device it will warn you about certificates, just click through accepting them)

Once at the settings, select the Network tab, then general option, then network protocols. That should give you the option to that Select IP4 only.

Save and exit. You will probably have to reboot your printer

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended
This worked. So glad to be able to print A4 from my email using my iPhone.
Thank you
HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same issue, but my printer an Officejet 8100, already is using IP 4 only - so this didn't work for me. Any other ideas?

Is HP working on a fix?

HP Recommended

Late to the conversation, but IronBadger's IP worked for me.

My HP M252dw had defaulted to "envelope" (US #10) as the default paper size for all printing from the iOS devices in the house. I set the default to standard paper size (US 8.5 x 11) and haven't had the issue pop back up. 

Many thanks; this has been aggravating many throughout the house. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.