Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Common problems for INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Instant Ink. Check out this link: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER. .
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is connected to my pc and prints fine. It shows as wifi connected on both the printer and pc. However on the hp instant ink page it constantly says my printer is offline which doesn't change after a refresh.  I keep receiving messages asking me to connect my printer to the internet to check it's ink status.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mdgould2 

Edits - Remove superfluous  content - 

Printer is complaining that it is not connected to the Internet.

The Instant Ink service uses your network but needs its own connection method.  Instant Ink monitoring depends on Web Services to connect the printer out to the network and to the Instant Ink server(s).

Lots of information here...

Website Support Troubleshooting, How-to, Video Tutorials

Open website:  HP Smart / HP Connected 

Open category How to > Turning On Web Services  (Includes “Turn off Web Services” help)

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I believe the issue is that I have a dual band router (Orbi) and my HP Desktop is running on 5.0 whereas the HP printer is running on 2.4 (only compatible with 2.4) and therefore they are not able to communicate with each other. Is there a way to force my desktop to be on the same band as the printer? I do not have a choice to choose bands on my desktop and devices are automatically routed based on proximity to the router.

HP Recommended

@mdgould2 

The printer only supports 2.4GHz bandwidth

Specifications > Connectivity

The following table contains connectivity options.
Connection method
Requirement
Wired (Ethernet)
10/100 Base-TX
Wireless
802.11 b/g/n – 2.4 GHz networks only
USB
Hi-speed 2.0 USB
Wi Fi Direct
Wireless device
Near field communication (NFC)
N/A
Front USB port
OfficeJet Pro 6970 All-in-One Printer series

If the router does not support both bandwidths, the printer is not be able to connect to the network.

There is no way to force the printer to connect to 5GHz.

If the router does support bandwidths, 

The router can be set to broadcast on both bands.

Assign a separate SSID network name to each band

Connect the printer to the SSID network for the 2.4GHz

Example

SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1SSID_Dual_Band_Example_1Network_SSID_Names_1Network_SSID_Names_1

Reference and Resources – (More) Places to find help, solve problems, and learn how to use your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

How can I adjust the router settings so that it broadcasts both bands separately? Currently I only see it as one network and it automatically chooses either the 5.0/2.4 band based on proximity to the router? The printer is correctly aligned to the 2.4 band but I believe I need to adjust the desktop (which is compatible with both bands) to connect to the 2.4 band now.

HP Recommended

@mdgould2 

Edits - Clarify "who can help" message 

I am not at all sure you  need to do any of this if the printer is working, if the computer is talking to the printer and the other parts of the network.  Web services is not impacted by whether the computer is connected to 5GHz.

Nonetheless, if you want to explore or change your network, you may certainly do so.

In Fact, the more you know about your network the better.

You have to log into your router and manage it from within.

No, you do not need to have the Desktop on the same bandwidth as the printer.

If the router supports both bands, it will take care of the communication between devices on the network.

The point is to have each device connected to the 'best' band for that device.

Once configured, routers that support both bands are smart enough to know how to deal with devices on one bandwidth or the other.

Preparation

Make sure that after you log into the router that you make a backup of the current configuration before you start making changes.  Every router I have had over the years offers a way to Export the current configuration.  Does that prove anything?  NO, but it helps you know that you want to look for the way to do this on your router.

You either already have - or can search for and download - your router manual (handbook, user guide).

Router configuration is generally relatively easy and in most cases the manufacturer of the router will have provided a decent manual to help you with the how-to.

You will want to read the router guide book before making any changes or decisions.

Be Aware:  If you receive a Private Message from a "new" community member claiming to "help" you, if you would just "let them into your computer or your network and give them your credit card number", that person might be a thief or other scoundrel.   HP has very strict rules about communications and will never simply want to "log in" and look around.  Not.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@mdgould2 

I am concerned that the subject is veering off track.

The initial answer stands:  Printer needs Web Services running for Instant Ink communications.

Regardless, an additional viewpoint and answer is needed.

• I have submitted a request that someone take a look.
  • Please know that because our Community is not HP Technical Support, we are not a direct conduit to HP.
  • When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 
  • Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims.

Note to those reading:

• Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from scammers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I updated the wireless IP settings on the printer from "manual" to "automatic" which fixed the initial issue and now the app shows it as connected on the Instant Ink Page. Unfortunately, now my HP Desktop cannot print at all! 😞 It works on all the other machines and mobile devices in my house but not my HP Desktop.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver/software and it still does not work at all for me.

I had this issue before which was resolved by HP Support and I clearly messed it up when I switched wireless IP setting to automatic on the printer. Have you seen this before? Any support would be greatly appreciated!

HP Recommended

@mdgould2 

OK

Instant Ink "app" is now happy after having changed the network connection - this means the printer is OK with the network change and the other devices are ok with the change.  The Desktop accepted the change, too, apparently, else the 'app" would not register the updated status.

The printer software is not working on one machine:

"HP Desktop cannot print at all!   It works on all the other machines and mobile devices in my house but not my HP Desktop.  I tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver/software and it still does not work at all for me."

➡️  Are you seeing any error message when you try to print?

If yes, what is the message?  Offline?  Unavailable?  Stuck in queue?

➡️  Which printer software are you using? 

For example, this printer supports both HP Smart and the Full Feature Software

Reference:  Software and Drivers

Consider for port / installation / "offline" errors:

Offline Doctor V5.0.6

• Download and Save the doctor to your computer
  • Open File Explorer > Navigate to the folder in which you saved the file (likely Downloads)
  • Execute the doctor – Answer any prompts /  let the process complete
  • Restart the computer, log in, and wait for the final steps in the Doctor to finish.
  • Check for any difference.

Version = V5.0.6

HPPSdr.exe

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what I did but the printer is now working on all devices, Thank You!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.