Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I had my printer stored in it's original box after I moved and had not used it for about a year. It was exposed to high temperatures during the summer. I unpacked it last night and the tri-color ink cartridge had exploded inside the printer. Only the blue ink came out. The ink mostly stained the part where the cartridge makes contact with the printer. I tried to clean as much as I could with some Q-tips but the inside of the printer is still stained. I included a couple of pics of the mess as it was and one after I cleaned most of it off. Is the printer ok? Can I buy a new cartridge, install it, and use it? I don't want to cause further damage. Is there another way I can clean more of this off without damaging the printer components?

HP PhotoSmart C44802011-01-10_23-06-48_798 copy.jpg2011-01-11_00-19-03_241 copy.jpg2011-01-10_23-06-18_676 copy.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

An update on my printer is that I followed the tip to clean it a little more with moist q-tips. Very carefully.

I bought some new cartridges and installed them. It printed the test page just fine and I later printed some simple word documents and that worked fine as well.

I will try printing some color pictures later and report back on the results.

Luckily, so far it seems to work just fine.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Sorry to see that this happend to you. I believe indeed theat the high tempreture is the cause of this.

It is very difficult to see if the printer is not broken by the explosion and that it will work with a new cartridge.

The cleaning that you did so far looks good to me but as I said before I can not look info the electrical components.

As you say that the printer was almost 1 year in the box the unit is out of warranty? If not contact support and explain them what happened. They should know what to do.

Sorry that can can not help you more on this.

Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
-- By clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you you show your appriciation.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted.
HP Recommended

You can only clean it further with COLD water ( no alcohol!) - with a damp cloth! or Q-tip.

This doesn't quarantees that the printer will work - this can only be checked when the cartridges is installed.

You could take the printer to a shop ( were you have bought it and  see if they have a spare catridges to test.

But this is a suggestion which ofcourse is depending on the store staff and the capabilites/means they have.

I work for HP but posts and replies are my own.
HP Recommended

Was the cartridge an original HP or a refill/reman?  Was the printer stored on its side?  It would be very unusual for an  HP cartridge to leak ink like this as the foam in the ink cartridge would keep the ink in even under temperatures approaching 100C.  

If the cartridge is an original HP (not refilled or remanufactured) and you still have the cartridge I would suggest you Contact HP.  Even though the printer is out of warranty there may be a warranty on the cartridge, see here for cartridge warranty information.  

If the cartridge is a refill or remanufactured cartridge (likely in my opinion) then take the issue up with your supplier.  Failures among reman cartridges are relatively high, and I have seen cases where printers are damaged by leaking ink from reman cartrdiges.  See here for a study by Quality Logic on the reliability of reman cartrdiges: http://www.qualitylogic.com/2009HPinktest.pdf.  The pictures on page 10 show some examples of ink leaking that are less severe than your pictures, but the test duration was not as long for their tests as for your case.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

It actually is an original HP cartridge. I never refill or buy some generic brand, only HP brand. I will check the date on the cartridge.The printer was not stored upright. It was with the hinge and back of the printer facing down so that is why it appears the ink was dripping into the back of the printer.

Thanks for the info.

HP Recommended

Hi xsemperidem5

I'm going to private message you on this topic.

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I had the black HP ink cartridge explode in my C4180 printer. I bought the cartridges directly from HP

Any suggestions what to do ? I cleaned it as much as possible with q-tips but not sure if I will buy a cartridge if the printer will function again.

HP Recommended

An update on my printer is that I followed the tip to clean it a little more with moist q-tips. Very carefully.

I bought some new cartridges and installed them. It printed the test page just fine and I later printed some simple word documents and that worked fine as well.

I will try printing some color pictures later and report back on the results.

Luckily, so far it seems to work just fine.

HP Recommended

Hi woodenshoes

If you think the ink has leaked from the cartridge then you should contact HP support, phone numbers below

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Please let me know how you get on,

Thanks, Ciara

HP Recommended

Hi xsemperidem5

Glad to hear it 🙂

Please let us know how you get on when you print color pictures...

Thanks, Ciara

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.