Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 6978 All-in-One Printer

My printer will not print black ink though it is full I replaced all print cartridges I have cleaned the printing head and when I’m attempting to align it prints but when it tells me to scan the page it doesn’t recognize the paper is in there any help would be appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JameisB23

Thank you for joining the HP Community

Use these tips to help complete the alignment or remove the message.

• Use clean white paper: Make sure the printer is loaded with unused, clean white paper, and then retry alignment.

• Scan page if required: If your printer has a scanner, you might see instructions on the alignment page to place the page on the scanner bed and press Scan. Follow the instructions on the alignment page to complete the scan.

• Choose 'Skip' to continue printing: If the 'Alignment Unsuccessful' message cannot be resolved, and you see a Skip button, you can choose to continue printing without alignment. Print quality might be affected.

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Clean the printhead or ink cartridge

Cleaning the printhead or ink cartridge often resolves alignment issues and helps resolve print quality problems at the same time. HP offers two general inkjet printhead designs: the Integrated Printhead (IPH) is integrated into the ink cartridge, and the Individual Ink Cartridges (IIC) has a printhead built into the printer.

Your printer comes with an automated tool to clean the printhead. There are several ways to access the tool, depending on your printer and the software you are using.

Run the cleaning test using one of the following methods that works for your printer and wait until the test completes.

• If your printer has a display, go to the Settings or Tools menu to find and run printhead or ink cartridge cleaning.

• In HP Print Assistant for Windows, find and run the cleaning test from the Maintain Your Printer section.

• In HP Solution Center for Windows, find and run the cleaning test from the Printer Toolbox.

• In the HP Printer Utility for Mac, find and run the cleaning test from the Information and Support panel.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions, but it still would not align

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.