Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro MFP M148fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to perform a Super NVRAM Reset / Factory Reset on my Laserjet Pro MFP M148fdw. I  already tried turning it on while holding the right arrow button and the cancel button.

While the device is booting it shows "permanent storage initialization" on the screen but the NVRAM is definitely not cleared. There are still some entrys in the event log for example. And the "first-time-boot-option", if you want the device so be "self-managed" or "it-managed" etc. is not showing up as well.

I would appreciate if someone could help. 😃

Greetings

Alex

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LexusPolaris Greetings from the HP Community!

Restore the printer settings to factory-set defaults

1. On the printer control panel, press the button.
  2. Open the following menus: ● Service ● Restore Defaults
  3. Touch or press the OK button. The printer automatically restarts.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Decipher,

thanks for your answer, but that was not what I was looking for.

I want to clear / delete / reset the NVRAM.

Restoring the printer to factory-set defaults just restores the user-managable configurations but not all the options on the printer. And as I it leaves the same entrys unchanged that i mentioned before (entrys in the event log, etc.).

HP Recommended

@LexusPolaris I'm afraid these are the only ways to reset this printer model, if that doesn't work, we may be looking at a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey Decipher,

I think I found a way to clear the NVRAM or at least kind of clearing it. Turning on the printer while holding the left-arrow-key and the red-cross-(cancel)-button simultaneously results in a "permanent storge init."-message on the display AND the three first-time-boot-options:

Select language, select country, select if self-managed or IT-managed.

The only thing it does not, is deleting the entries in the event log but I keep searching.

Greetings!

HP Recommended

@LexusPolaris I'm glad you found another way, however, since it isn't working, I suggest you contact HP for further assistance,

And if you need anything else, feel free to write to us any time.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.