Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CP1518ni Color Laserjet
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've used only HP printers for decades and have never had a problem until now, so thank you, HP, for such great products! Unfortunately, my HP CP1518ni color laserjet printer will not print in color. It worked fine on all versions of Windows until Win10. It also worked on Win10 for awhile, but then one day it suddenly stopped printing in color.

Of course, I checked the ink and ran a test page, which printed in perfect color. I have scoured the internet and these forums and tried every fix, but it will not print in color. My entire reason for purchasing this product was to print with vibrant color. I need the printer to work. 

This thread purports to "solve" this problem: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/CP1518-suddenly-won-t-print-in-color/td-p/6268496

I followed all these steps but the printer still doesn't print in color when I use MS Word or another program; but the test page always prints in color.

Please help me solve this problem. I've spent approximately 10 hours now, trying to fix this issue. Please post a fix for me, or tell me where to go where there is help that can solve the problem.

Thanks much!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Elsewhere, I read these questions to another HP user whose printer won't print in color--it is a different model, so clearly this is happening to a lot of people. To answer these questions your tech help posed to that user:

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Did you make any changes on the printer before the issue started? No, none.

Are you using genuine HP toners or refilled toners? Genuine HP toners bought new at Office Depot.

Are you able to make a copy from the printer? My printer is not a copier, but I can print out a color test page.

Did the error appear all of sudden while using an existing cartridge which worked fine earlier on the same printer?

Yes, the error appeared suddenly while using existing color cartridges that worked fine earlier on the same printer, and also print in color on a test page. It will not print in color from the internet or from MS Word or any other program.

HP Recommended

So my HP1518ni that has served me well for around a decade and has printed around 10,000 pages stopped printing in colour when I upgraded to Windows 10. I followed everyone`s steps over and over again to no avail until I tried this:

I deleted and removed everything related to my printer and PCL 6 printing. I downloaded from the HP website an older PCL 5 using the Windows 7 downloadables. I unzipped that and allowed it to install. Once it installed, the HP 1518ni showed up in the Printers and Devices list as HP Universal Printing PCL 5. I right clicked on that and selected Printer Properties NOT Properties. Then under the tab Device Settings, I had a detailed menu. You have to scroll to the very bottom and if you select Device Type, it is defaulted to Auto-Detect, change it to COLOR!!!! I don`t know if this will work for you but it worked for me!!! COLOUR AGAIN after nearly TWO YEARS!!!!

HP Recommended

Genius. I spent 4 hours trying different fixes. Yours worked out of the box. 

Hello, HP, your PCL6 does NOT work with your HP Color LaserJet 1519!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.