Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet 5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot add my laserjjet 5 to a new windows 10 version 1803. I have other computers with windows 10 that always had the Laserjet 5 printer installed from previous windows updates and they work fine. It is just the new computer that I am having this problem. Yes, I realize this is an older printer but it is such a reliable workhorse!

When I add a new printer I choose HP and Laserjet 5 is not on the default list so I click the "Windows update" button and it works away and after a couple of minutes I gej a message tha says something like "....unavailable....please try again later" and that is it, no additional drivers appear. I have repeated this many times to no avail!

Would anyone have any suggestions for solving this issue. I don't suppose there is an easy way of getting this from one of my other windows 10 computers that work fine?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Morgan

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I tried this using the suggested driver. It communicates with the printer and prints a test page that says:

PCL XL error

subsystem: Kernel

error: Unsuported Protocol

Thanks for your reply

Morgan

HP Recommended

Be careful I got an email from fastsupport. They must watch the forum!

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue, the printer is no longer visible in the basic list, you can find it when you press Windows update button but then it fails to install. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Just look into thr reply brfore yours.

Re: HP Laserjet 5 printer driver for Windows 10 ver 1803 not there 

@Betacor

Look at this post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/hp-laserjet-5-printer-driver-for-windows-...

REO

Who writes cery clearly.

--press teh Windows icon in the lower left corner

--select "settings"

--select "devices"

--select "add printers & scanners"

--select "add a printer"

-- it probably will scan and deliver a message like "printer ----- isn't listed"

--click on that message

--scroll down to "add a local printer"

--accept "use existing port" then scroll down and select USB001(virtual port for USB)

--it is possible that if you are using the original cable that the default LPT1 is the correct choice.

--that will lead to the same list of printer drivers that you would have had with Win 7 (my understanding, or misunderstanding, is that when Win 10 loaded it retained the Win 7 printer drivers, but did not make them particularly accessible.

--select your printer

--print a test page

--all done

--you may need to make that your default printer 

If you can't find LaserJet 5 (not 5M if you don'y have a PostScript Card) then use 4 plus in subsition it will work either.

HP Recommended

Which part of "you can find it when you press Windows update button but then it fails to install" you missed? The driver is there but it fails to install.

win10_hp_laserjer_5.png

HP Recommended

As an update for my Laserjet 5 problem, i now get a new list of printers when I click the "Windows Update" button in the add printer process.

Unfortunately, I don't see a driver for the Laserjet 5 (I see 5i,5m etc) but it won't install if i select one of them. I tried the laserjet 4 as well and got the same result "Did not Install"

Just to recap: I am going from a laptop (win 10 ver 1803) to a D-Link print server and from parallel port on the print server to LaserJet 5. I use a TCPIP configuration (I enter the ip address).

This cofiguration works fine on several computers I have running windows 10 ver 1803. The only difference is that they were updated from previous versions of windows 10 or windows 7 but they already had the driver installed.

A puzzle so far......thanks to all who responded, unfortunately not yet there

HP Recommended

I found a solution. It's far from ideal, but it works. Google "upd-pcl5-x64-6.1.0.20062.exe", this is HP's universal printer driver with PCL5. You can no longer download it from hp.com, they only have PCL6 one, which does not work with LJ5.

HP Recommended

Sorry, the recommend link shows a screenshot where the "Laserjet 5" driver is present in Windows Update.  The reason this thread exists is that it NO LONGER is present in Windows Update. The driver recommended by Windows 10 gets the "Error: Unsupported Protocol" message from the printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.