Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Greetings!

I had no problems with my printer until I "upgraded" from Win 7 to Win 8. At first, it printed for a few days, and then it stopped. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver at least twice. I tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor, which eventually found the printer, but still couldn't get it to print the test page. Then, I tried the HP Diagnostic Utility, which got it to print and make a copy. But it still wouldn't print regular documents. Then, I found the firmware update for my printer, which by the description looks like it will totally fix my issue. I get as far as the screen that says to make sure that my printer is connected via USB, powered up, and not in an error state. Check, check, and check. Then when I hit update, it tells me that the device update cannot proceed, and to make sure that my printer is connected via USB, powered up, and not in an error state. The display reads normal, the cords are firmly connected, etc. Please help!  I'm terribly frustrated.

Thanks, 

Grace

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended
I would like to add that the printer continues to work totally fine on another laptop that I own which still runs Win 7.
HP Recommended

@G-Rock77 wrote:

Greetings!

... I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver at least twice ...

Thanks, 

Grace

Hi,

How do you install it ? Is it the Full Feature Software and Drivers from the following link ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5169...

You may want to download the following file and run it on your machine:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-113584-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My apologies for not being specific. The first time, I actually tried to fix the installation using the disc that came with the printer. That worked for a few days, and then it pooped on me again. The second time, I uninstalled via the control panel, and used the Win 8 app, HP Printer Control. When I clicked on "Get HP full-featured software, it took me here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02691615

I then chose the option "Driver - Product Installation Software," and next the full-feature option, downloaded it, and then got hung up when it refused to recognize that the printer is even connected to my laptop. That's when I managed to find the HP Printer Install Wizard, which takes its sweet time detecting the printer and retrieving device data from HP. It then says that my printer and full-featured software and drivers are correctly installed. I then get the option to print a test page from there, and nothing happens. It then suggests that if the test page doesn't print, to download the HP Print and Scan Dr., which I then did.

The Print and Scan Dr. came up all green checks; it saw the printer, saw that it was correctly connected and said that the software was fine, but again wouldn't print the test sheet. It would, however, sucessfully do a test scan.

The next time I uninstalled/reinstalled, I did so via the HP Print and Scan Dr, which gives you an option to uninstall/reinstall after you run it, among a list of other items.

I followed the instructions and made sure to go online and re-download the latest driver package prior to initiating the uninstall, which appears to be the same as the one before that. It was after I reinstalled the last time that I discovered the firmware update, and tried the HP Diagnostic Utility when the firmware update refused to work. The Diagnostic Utility also came up all green checks, and was more sucessful than the Print and Scan Dr, in that it was actually able to print its test sheet, and then a copy of that (although it instructed me to initiate the copy from the control panel, not via the computer). After that, I again attempted to run the firmware update, and again had no success. It behaved in exactly the same manner as before.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The Wizard is actually the second link in my previous reply. Now download the first link then install it.

Hope this helps.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Good morning, banhein.

I have done that. The link I included was a different pathway to the same file. I have actually done it twice. So, I have two copies of the driver, the Installation Wizard, and the HP Print and Scan Dr in my downloads file. 

What I didn't say before is that this has been going on for over a month. I tried the exact same thing the first time, and when it didn't work, I just left it alone and reverted to my old laptop. The original files that I downloaded to try and fix this are still there, in my Downloads folder. But people keep encouraging me to give Win 8 another chance, so I'm trying this again, and this time, I found the additional items, which are the Diagnostic Utility and the firmware update.

To be even more specific:

I have already downloaded and installed the latest driver, which you linked to first (filename:  "PS6520_1315"), and the HP Installation Wizard (filename:  "hppiw"). And I ran it. I ran it (the Installation Wizard) an additional time after I read your previous reply just so I could tell you specifically what happened when I ran it in my last reply. It didn't solve my issue. I need a different approach, if one exists. Is there some setting I need to change, or some other way to get this firmware onto my printer?

If it helps, I'm using an HP Pavilion dv4 2145dx, and my OS is Windows 8 Pro (64 bit), which they offered to college students for $40.  

HP Recommended

I am having the EXACT same issue.

I can't scan wirelessly because the connection drops.

I figured I could update the firmware to fix this issue, but although I am installed & connected via USB it still says the Device Update cannot proceed.

Win 8 64-bit. Latest HP drivers.

Please advise.

HP Recommended

Eunieprunie,

Glad to know that I'm not alone. My direct connection doesn't work, either, although the laptop "sees" the printer. At this point, I'd be happy to be able to use my printer via USB. I am unable to try the e-print feature due to the way that they have the wireless set up here, but that is another issue.

I have tried turning the wireless off altogether and connecting via the USB cord exclusively, to no effect. Somehow, my laptop manages to "see" the printer even when the wireless on the printer is off and the USB is disconnected. Go figure. If I had a system restore disc for Win 7, I'd say screw it and wipe the hard drive and start over. I really hope that someone here is able to help us.

HP Recommended

Eunieprunie, 

We got my printer to work!!! I just finished a chat with an HP Instant Support Professional, Marquis K. I will tell you exactly what he had me do to get it to work. Hopefully it will work for you, too.

For starters, he directed me to do this:

"Let us now power cycle the printer by following steps below: 

1. Turn off the printer and disconnect all cables from the printer (power,USB,network,phone). 
2. Wait for a minute, then press and hold the Power button for 30 seconds. 
3. Then connect only the power cable and turn on the printer. 

(Note: The power cord should be connected to the wall outlet and that wall outlet should not be providing power to multiple devices.) 

NOTE: This releases the static charges/flea power that keeps on accumulating in the power circuit of the printer over time and by normal power off/on, it does not get cleared"

This did not solve my problem alone, but I figured that it must have helped, because everything else he told me to do, was stuff I had already done. He had me check in the Control Panel under Devices and Printers, and check to see if an icon for the printer was there. it was. Then he asked if there was an error message on the icon. There was not. THen, he had me open a document and try to print it. Nothing happened.

Next, he had me touch the wrench icon on the printer touch screen, select Tools, then Printer Quality report. That worked.

After that, he had me go back to the Control Panel, select Programs, then Programs and Features, and find the HP Photosmart 6520 software. Three things were listed there, the basic driver package, help, and some product improvement something. He had me righ-click on each one and uninstall. As I uninstalled the driver, it instructed me to unplug the USB. Do not reconnect it until instructed to do so by the software.

Next, he had me reinstall the driver, file name: PS6520_1315.exe. He gave me a link, but I had already downloaded it from a previous try, so once I verified that the filename was the same, I installed that. Here's the link, just in case you need it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-108722-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

Once we verified that my driver was the correct file, I double-clicked to install.  You will come to a window that shows the HP recommended software for the installation and gives you an option to customize. Just hit Next to install the recommended software. It will then ask if you want to connect wirelessly or via USB. Select USB. This is also the point where you plug the USB cord back into your computer.Once it connects, it will ask you to print a test picture. Do it. Mine printed. Then, it will ask you some preference questions and you'll be done. 

Now, open a document and try to print. I really hope that this works for you as it did for me.

Cheers,

Grace

HP Recommended

Oh, by the way, I tried to install the firmware update again before we ended the chat, and got the same error message. He said that as long as I can print documents from the Win 8 machine, that I don't need the firmware update. I'm fine with that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.