Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP 277 dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer works completely fine when you try to print from the desktop that is a wired connection, faxes, scans and photocopies normally. But when I try to print from my laptop using the wifi connect feature it changes to error status. I know that the printer is compatible with my laptop because I have used the wifi direct printing before. There were no software updates before the printer quit working.
I have already restarted both my laptop and printer, including unplugging the printer. I have already uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have stopped and cleared and restarted the spooler. I have run both my laptop's troubleshooter and the HP trouble shooter, both say there is no error. Obviously, since it won't print and says printer in error state, there is a problem. What should I do next?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It sounds like the network connection between your wired and wireless environments are different.  That's why it works over wired and not over wireless.  Only your wired environment is configured correctly on the PC.

The first thing to verify is the IP Address of the printer when connected over wire. 

Print off a Configuration page from the printers control panel to review all of the current settings

Save the IPv4 address for later.

Next, connect over WiFi and try to ping the IP Address of the printer.  If you cannot ping the printer then you cannot send print jobs to the printer either.  This is a network configuration issue.

Many home routers have a feature that isolates Wireless from the main wired network.  You will have to review your home router for a feature called "Wireless Isolation Mode" and turn it off.  Its also possible that you are connecting to a 2nd home router that is functioning as an Access Point.  If your two home routers are not configured to talk to each other then machines on one home router will not talk to machines on the other.  

If you are attempting to use the WiFi Direct feature on the printer then you can ignore settings on your home router.  WiFi Direct connects devices direct to the printer over its own direct WiFi connection.  You would need to first disconnect your laptop from the wired connection.  Then connect to the WiFi Direct SSID broadcasting from the printer.  Check your printer installation information as the IP Address of the printer of WIFI Direct is likely different than your home router network. Reinstall the printer and create a 2nd network installation for this kind of connection.  Then flip back and forth while printing to one printer queue or the other as necessary.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

Please mark anything that is helpful with a Kudo.
When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

So the troubleshooter successfully prints a test page. I just can't print any documents, either from open office or from my browser (I have tried three different browsers). I would think that if the test page is printing then my laptop is correctly communicating to the printer.

HP Recommended

Its possible that you are sending your print jobs to the wrong queue.  Perhaps your default queue is taking over instead of the alternative one you setup for your wireless connection.  Some apps cache and hold onto whatever the default printing queue is even when users try to adjust it on the fly.  That could explain why some apps like Windows Test page work and others like Open Office do not.

Can you ping the printers IP Address when connected over Wireless?  That would confirm your PC can communicate with the printer over the wireless network.  All you need to do is make sure you are sending the right commands to the printer at that point.

Experts are not HP Employees. Experts are advanced users, administrators, technicians, engineers or business partners who volunteer their time to answer community questions.

When you are done troubleshooting, please mark one of the responses as the Solution.
This feedback enhances the community by helping future readers choose between multiple similar responses.

HP Recommended

Another test would be to open up the "Whats printing"/"Open Queue" window for a given printer queue.  Verify if there is any activity when you send a new print job to the printer.  Pause the queue if the information appears and disappears to quickly then release jobs one at a time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.