Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

I have a HP Photosmart C4150 All-in-one printer.  The ink cartridges are newish.  When I try to print a web page or a page from MS Word, the message Remove And Check Print Cartridges appears.  I've removed both cartridges and re-installed them, but with no luck.  I have a MacBook Pro.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

How long have these cartridges been in the printer? You can try to clean the contacts by following the steps below.

Step one: Remove and inspect the cartridge

The print cartridge may not have full electrical contact with the printer. Removing and reinstalling the cartridge may help. To remove and inspect the cartridge, follow these steps:

NOTE: HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.

1. Make sure the printer is on. Press the Power button if it is not lit.

2. Open the printer cover, and then wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

3. Press down gently on the top of the cartridge to release it.

Figure 2: Removing the tri-color cartridge

4. Slide the cartridge out and inspect it.

CAUTION: Do not touch the copper electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.

Figure 3: Electrical contacts and nozzles

1 - Copper electrical contacts

2 - Nozzles

• Check the electrical contacts for debris.

• Make sure all the clear protective tape has been removed from the nozzle and electrical contact area.

Figure 4: Removing the clear protective tape

5. Reinstall the cartridge in the product and try again to print.

If after you have completed these steps you are still unable to resolve the issue, go to the next step.

Step two: Make sure the cartridge is compatible

Which cartridges you use depends on your country or region. To check the cartridge compatibility for your product, click this link, HP SureSupply . If your language or country does not display next to the globe icon ( ) select your language and location.

1. If the cartridge is compatible, reinstall it in the printer.

• Place cartridges marked with a triangle in the left carriage slot.

• Place cartridges marked with a square or pentagon in the right carriage slot.

Figure 5: Print cartridges installed correctly

Figure 6: Direction to insert the print cartridges

2. After verifying that your cartridge is compatible, reinstall the cartridge in the product and try again to print.

If after you have completed these steps you are still unable to resolve the issue, go to the next step.

Step three: Clean the cartridge contacts

To clean the electrical contacts on the print cartridge and in the carriage in the printer, follow these steps:

1. Open the printer lid and wait until the carriage stops moving, and then unplug the power cord.

2. Remove the cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.

NOTE: If you are removing a tri-color, photo, or gray photo print cartridge, try to clean the contacts quickly enough that the cartridge is not outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. The ink can dry and clog the nozzles if the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long.

3. Dip a clean cotton swab in distilled water, and then squeeze it to remove most of the moisture.

4. Clean the print cartridge contacts. Do not touch the nozzles.

Figure 7: Cartridge electrical contacts

5. Clean the contacts inside the carriage, inside the printer.

Figure 8: Carriage contacts

6. Either let the cartridge sit for ten minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

7. Reinstall the cartridge, plug in the power cord, close the printer cover, and then try again to print.

Step four: Reset the printer

To reset the printer, follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the printer, but leave the printer turned on.

2. Open the cover of the printer and remove the print cartridges.

3. Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer and wait for one minute.

5. Reconnect the power cord. If the printer does not automatically turn on, press the Power button.

6. Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges.

7. Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.

8. Reconnect the USB cable, and try again to print.

Step five: Replace the cartridge

If after you have completed these steps you are still unable to resolve the issue, replace the cartridge. If you do not have a replacement print cartridge,. 

I was an HP employee.

Kudos are appreciated if I have helped you.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

How long have these cartridges been in the printer? You can try to clean the contacts by following the steps below.

Step one: Remove and inspect the cartridge

The print cartridge may not have full electrical contact with the printer. Removing and reinstalling the cartridge may help. To remove and inspect the cartridge, follow these steps:

NOTE: HP cannot guarantee the quality of remanufactured or refilled cartridges.

1. Make sure the printer is on. Press the Power button if it is not lit.

2. Open the printer cover, and then wait until the carriage is idle and silent.

3. Press down gently on the top of the cartridge to release it.

Figure 2: Removing the tri-color cartridge

4. Slide the cartridge out and inspect it.

CAUTION: Do not touch the copper electrical contacts or the ink nozzles.

Figure 3: Electrical contacts and nozzles

1 - Copper electrical contacts

2 - Nozzles

• Check the electrical contacts for debris.

• Make sure all the clear protective tape has been removed from the nozzle and electrical contact area.

Figure 4: Removing the clear protective tape

5. Reinstall the cartridge in the product and try again to print.

Step two: Make sure the cartridge is compatible

Which cartridges you use depends on your country or region. To check the cartridge compatibility for your product, click this link, HP SureSupply . If your language or country does not display next to the globe icon ( ) select your language and location.

1. If the cartridge is compatible, reinstall it in the printer.

• Place cartridges marked with a triangle in the left carriage slot.

• Place cartridges marked with a square or pentagon in the right carriage slot.

Figure 5: Print cartridges installed correctly

Figure 6: Direction to insert the print cartridges

2. After verifying that your cartridge is compatible, reinstall the cartridge in the product and try again to print.

Step three: Clean the cartridge contacts

To clean the electrical contacts on the print cartridge and in the carriage in the printer, follow these steps:

1. Open the printer lid and wait until the carriage stops moving, and then unplug the power cord.

2. Remove the cartridge and place it on a piece of paper with the nozzle plate facing up.

NOTE: If you are removing a tri-color, photo, or gray photo print cartridge, try to clean the contacts quickly enough that the cartridge is not outside of the printer for more than 30 minutes. The ink can dry and clog the nozzles if the cartridge is outside of the printer for too long.

3. Dip a clean cotton swab in distilled water, and then squeeze it to remove most of the moisture.

4. Clean the print cartridge contacts. Do not touch the nozzles.

Figure 7: Cartridge electrical contacts

5. Clean the contacts inside the carriage, inside the printer.

Figure 8: Carriage contacts

6. Either let the cartridge sit for ten minutes to allow the cleaned area to dry, or use a new swab to dry it.

7. Reinstall the cartridge, plug in the power cord, close the printer cover, and then try again to print.

Step four: Reset the printer

To reset the printer, follow these steps:

1. Disconnect the Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable from the back of the printer, but leave the printer turned on.

2. Open the cover of the printer and remove the print cartridges.

3. Close the cover and wait for the Insert Ink Cartridges message.

4. Disconnect the power cord from the back of the printer and wait for one minute.

5. Reconnect the power cord. If the printer does not automatically turn on, press the Power button.

6. Open the cover and reinsert the print cartridges.

7. Close the cover. If prompted, print a calibration page.

8. Reconnect the USB cable, and try again to print.

Step five: Replace the cartridge

If after you have completed these steps you are still unable to resolve the issue, replace the cartridge. If you do not have a replacement print cartridge,. 

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

After following the instructions in your previous post, I am now met with the message: Remove and Check cartridge on right.  I've removed the black/right cartridge and still no luck.  Any more suggestions?

HP Recommended

If you have cleaned the contacts on both sides of the printer carriage and cartridges, I would recommend calling support for a possible cartridge replacement. They can determine if the cartridge still falls under the warranty for replacement.

If you have any spare cartridges now, you could try them out one at a time starting with the right. There is a small possibility that it is a problem with the printer, but the cartridges are the most likely cause.

The support number is:

1-(800)-HP INVENT
1-(800)-474-6836

Thank you

I was an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I use my printer for label printing and never use the color cartridge. How can I print in black without needing to keep a color cartridge in the printer?

HP Recommended

Hello PeppersLiquors,

Which printer do you have? 

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
C4150 All in One. Won't let me print with just a BW cartridge and won't accept any color ones.
HP Recommended
Dear Kudos,
Thank you very much, u saved my printer.
HP Recommended

Perfect! The 4th option solved the problem for me. Thank you for posting. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.