Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just purchased the HP ENVY 4520 and am quite impressed with the little printer, especially for the price!  BUT!  That had to be the HARDEST printer to setup I've ever experienced!  I first set it up for my wife to print from her Kindle, which was the most important thing for her.  A few days pass and then I needed to print from laptop.  I forgot that I had not set it up yet.  Nothing worked the way it is supposed to!  It wanted a non existent PIN.  Then it wanted a claim code, which I still happened to have ... but it was expired!  The hoops I had to go through to get another claim code!  I'm disabled so it isn't easy for me getting up and down, getting the book back out, having the book tell me to go to the printers screen ... but what really chapped me was it gave me the same fricken claim code!  If it's going to give me the SAME code, then WHY is it expired?  If they assigned an email address to my printer, then that email address should be SET for as long as I have an account!   And they couldn't just tell me.  I had to PRINT IT!  Now I have 2 sheets of paper with the same code and email address that apparently will expire shortly!  My time wasted, more ink wasted, paper wasted, making a disabled guy fumble around, just because HP wants to play these games for setup.  That really changes my overall opinion of the printer.

What happens if I have to reload my computer, or upgrade my phone?  Am I going to have to do this EVERY TIME I change phones or reload my computer, or get a new computer?  I don't think it's worth keeping this printer if the answer is yes!  I shouldn't have to go to the printer and print another page of the SAME number I already have because the page I have is EXPIRED!  I should be able to setup the printer ONCE and tell any device on my network to use that printer!  Did I miss something?  Is there no way to simply add a new system to my network and sign in or bring home a new phone to that network and have them print?  What if my sister is visiting and needs to print, is she going to have to get a current code number?  There MUST be an easier way, something I'm missing.  I just can't imagine a company as big as HP making it more difficult for the customer to add a device to print!  Hopefully someone will have the answer that will make me want to keep this printer.  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@MichaelTopsail

welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your  HP ENVY 4520 PRINTER. I understand that you want to setup wireless connection on the printer and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Connect to the wireless network.

1. Turn on the printer if it is not already on.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

The Wireless screen displays.

3. Touch the Settings icon .

4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, then follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Download and install the printer software.

On the computer you want to print from, start the software installation, and then download and install the HP full feature print driver. It contains the wireless print drivers, as well as HP Printer Assistant software for scanning and other printer management functions.

1. Go to 123.hp.com, type your model number, click Begin, and then click Download.

2. Double-click the driver file with HP Easy Start in the name in the browser downloads bar or in the Downloads folder to start the installation.

3. When prompted to choose your software and driver, select Full Software and Drivers, click Continue, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install the full feature print driver and complete the wireless setup.

Click here and refer the document for more assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@MichaelTopsail

welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your  HP ENVY 4520 PRINTER. I understand that you want to setup wireless connection on the printer and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

Don't worry though as I have a few steps to determine the issue and find a solution as well,

Connect to the wireless network.

1. Turn on the printer if it is not already on.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

The Wireless screen displays.

3. Touch the Settings icon .

4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, then follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Download and install the printer software.

On the computer you want to print from, start the software installation, and then download and install the HP full feature print driver. It contains the wireless print drivers, as well as HP Printer Assistant software for scanning and other printer management functions.

1. Go to 123.hp.com, type your model number, click Begin, and then click Download.

2. Double-click the driver file with HP Easy Start in the name in the browser downloads bar or in the Downloads folder to start the installation.

3. When prompted to choose your software and driver, select Full Software and Drivers, click Continue, and then follow the on-screen prompts to install the full feature print driver and complete the wireless setup.

Click here and refer the document for more assistance.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you Sandy!  I was trying to install it the old fashion way where Windows installed it through "Printers."   Thank you for bringing me up to date! 

As a suggestion, I looked again and there's nothing in the setup materials about doing this.  It would be nice if you had something in there for adding other devices.  Most homes I know today have more than one computer, more than one cell phone and tablet or Kindle or two that all want to connect to the printer. 

Thank you for the quick reply!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Don't forget to install your HP ENVY 4520 driver and additional software.

You can visit this page (HP ENVY 4520 page) or this (Unofficial HP ENVY 4520 driver) to download your driver and don't forget to match your OS.

Richard Bravo
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.