Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 8620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

About 6 months ago I purchased an OfficeJet 8620.  It has been running just fine for those 6 months.

It is connected via WiFi using a DHCP address, and network options like Scan to Network folder and Web admin are working just fine.

I am accessing the printer from a Windows 10 PC, iPad Pro and 27" iMac running OSX 10.

I decided that I want to subscribe to the HP Instant Ink programme - so I tried to enable it.  I discovered through the web admin page that "Web Services has been disabled!   Please contact your administrator or person who set up the printer".

Any attempt to set up or enable web services (either through the printer or web admin) results in the same error.

I reset the printer to Factory Defaults and the error is the same.

I am completely unable to set up web services.

I don't know what the next step should be.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums, and thanks for your efforts thus far @Hexland, I accept the challenge of helping you to get this working. 

Based on your description of the issue, and what you've already tried, I think it would be best to perform a more comprehensive reset.

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know  by @Bob_Headrick

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Please take a moment to read HP’s Privacy Policy at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html  This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Oh, just to add...

I went through various other discussions on Google about similar problems.

I disabled "Proxy Server" settings in the Network Settings

I manually set up DNS servers to ensure there was correct DNS settings

I tried using a fixed IP address

I have tried Factor Reset, removing power, leaving poweless for an hour, power cycling...

I have not tried using a wired connection yet (it's a major pain, where the printer is located)

I have HP branded carts inserted

I am running through an EdgeRouter-X router with PnP enabled.  I have not seen any posts or info for required ports for WebServices, so I haven't tried opening any external ports or anything.  I don't think its this though - this appears to be a problem with the printer

I simply CANNOT seem enable web services

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forums, and thanks for your efforts thus far @Hexland, I accept the challenge of helping you to get this working. 

Based on your description of the issue, and what you've already tried, I think it would be best to perform a more comprehensive reset.

There are an increasing number of posts in this forum and elsewhere in the internet with the steps to do a resets on different printers.  The reset itself will sometimes fix problems, so the reset is not the issue. 

Some resets require you to enter button combinations to open special menus on your printer that you were never meant to access.  These special menus are used by the developers and support personnel for debugging issues, but they are not meant for untrained users and can have unintended results.  One wrong button push and you no could no longer have a printer, but instead a pricey paper weight.  To top it off, if you do happen to "brick" the printer this way, it is considered customer induced damage, and voids the warranty automatically. These resets are only meant to be given out and used as a last resort, and under direct instruction of a HP tech support representative. They should not be done lightly!

Printer Resets: What You Should Know  by @Bob_Headrick

Please check the little envelope on the top right hand corner of the forums page to check your Forums inbox.

Please take a moment to read HP’s Privacy Policy at http://www8.hp.com/us/en/privacy/ww-privacy.html  This Privacy Statement informs you of our privacy practices and of the choices you can make about the way information about you and your online activity is collected and how that information is used. This statement is readily available on our HP.com home page and at the bottom of every HP web page.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks, I'll try this as soon as I get home tonight, and post my results.

HP Recommended

That worked.

Problem solved.

Thank you.

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.