Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
desktops, laptops, mobile
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I am using HP Smart email to printer printing. But the output appears reduced more than 50% and may be that the fonts are  being reduced to about 5 pts.  There is no print driver control whatever on the HP Smart site.  This has not to do with the device as the device prints all other things normally. Isi there a problem with the HP email to print driver?

thx,

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@alluvian 

You are welcome.

Sure - could be a sudden collapse of the firmware.

This does not sound right to me but could be true.

Since February (when the firmware was released) there have not been messages of catastrophic failure of this model and ePrint.

That said, things are indeed sometimes as they seem.

Anything to be done?

HP would have normally provided the means to Reset the printer - that is about as much physical intervention that is possible on the hardware side.  If anything would clear the issue on your side, on your printer, a Semi-full reset would have accomplished this.  (Only HP employees are permitted to provide this type of reset information.)

What else?

There might actually be an unreported / under reported / not understood issue going on with ePrint.  While HP might be expected to know about something of this sort, news does not always travel quickly between departments (a personal opinion). 

More likely - Many issues with ePrint are regional - that is, not all service areas are affected when there is a service interruption.   This means the service might work fine for me and not work at all for you or someone else.

Yes, ePrint is intended for private use. 

Lots of people use ePrint for their small business.

====================================================

For those reading:

HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update 

Release date:  Feb 2, 2021 (at this writing)
FixesSecurity improvements

Easier fix - If the issue is your printer hardware, replace the hardware.

Good Luck.
Stay Safe.
Carry on.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@alluvian 

Welcome to the HP Community.

"I am using HP Smart email to printer printing."

I am not positive I understand what you are doing.

The following might be wrong based on a misunderstanding.

In general, the printer is unaware of what it is printing.

If you open a document / image and send that content to Email using "Share", the content is not resized when attached to the message.

This is true for scanning, too - the printer scans what is on the screen using the Page Size you set in the Preset.

If the content / view is reduced in size below 100%, your print / scan result will reflect the smaller size.

You are correct that HP Smart Mobile includes fewer tools to control / impact the results.

Partial Example - HP Smart Mobile (iOS iPad Pro) - Scan Document

HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_PDF-Image_Options_2HP_Smart_Mobile_Scan_PDF-Image_Options_2

Partial Example - HP Smart Mobile (iOS iPad Pro) - Print Image - Adjust - Edit / Crop

HP_Smart_Mobile_Print_Edit_Crop_1HP_Smart_Mobile_Print_Edit_Crop_1

The "Share / Save" part of the operation is separate from the initial selection of the type of job (Scan).

After the item is scanned, possibly edited, and "Done", then "Share" is selected to send the results on its way to its final destination (email / save to file).

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your thoughtful and detailed response.  

HP Smart includes the ability to send and email to the printer and the printer will print the contents or, an attachment.

When I send an email to my printer, it is reduced.  There is zero control over layout or any print driver funtions.  You are right. The printer will print what it is told to print by the print driver.  In this case, the emailer has no access to any print driver setting because that is being done by HP who is converting the email file, to the print file and sending to the printer.  What I want to know is how to get the print file to print what the document is...in this case letter size.  What I am getting looks like envelope size.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@alluvian 

You are welcome.

Not sure whether I understand what this means:

In this case, the emailer has no access to any print driver setting because that is being done by HP who is converting the email file, to the print file and sending to the printer. 

IF you are sending content to the printer's email address ( someaddress @ hpeprint.com ), that is, using ePrint, then the restrictions are many and the control (is) practically nil. 

Take a look at the "Does not print" document for some of the many "it does this" and "don't do this" instructions.

HP Printers - Printing with HP ePrint HP ePrint Email Job Does Not Print

HP Smart / HP Connected > How to > Setting Up and Using HP ePrint

If you are sending an email with content to a recipient, opening the email and printing the attached file, then there are perhaps limited options to change the scaling that are dependent on your web browser.  Most browsers at least provide a Preview page and some sort of scale / size control.

If I think of something else, I will post back.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks again Dragon-Fur.   Yes, it is eprint and the  HP Smart site which is where the printer is setup for eprint, does not have printer preferences as the doc states.  Also, there is no browser involved here.  I am using outlook to send and email to the printer. It comes out about 40% size.

Thanks!
Mike

HP Recommended

@alluvian 

The ePrint Preferences stated in the ePrint document only applies to those printers that provide the extra support for this option.  I had just one printer that supported these options - an older OfficeJet Pro 8740 (no longer have the printer and I cannot verify whether the options still exist for that model).  I've not seen the option since then.

Reference

Setting Up and Using HP ePrint

Section:  Can I change print settings for an HP ePrint job?

===========================================================================

If you can do so, bypass ePrint (do not use it).

Yes, this means you have to open the received email and print from your email client.

Comments

Outlook is a bit of a mystery to me - I've never used it from a mobile device, for example.

If mail received by the installed Outlook software (for example, installed in Windows) does not print at the correct size, you can edit the email - it's a bit of a chore (again, based on my limited experience using the installed Outlook program).  When I tested it (some time ago), it did work.

I've included my notes that I found on the subject in case there is anything useful.

Will it work?  Unknown - I don't use Outlook (installed in my Windows PC) unless I must do so.

Outlook – Scale Print Size

How to print an email with small/big font size in Outlook?

Read the first part and / or scroll down to section:

Print an email’s message body with small/big font size

Partial Excerpt (no screenshots) – minor edits for visual clarity

Above part (top section) can only change the font size of fields in message header and the username when printing emails in Outlook. For changing the font size of message body, please do as follows:

1. In the Mail view, double click on the mail file to be printed.

1. Email opens in Message window. Click Message > Actions > Edit Message

and

1. Place the cursor in the message body; click Ctrl + A keys to select all message body.

OR

Message > Section Editing > Select drop-down > Select All

1. Format Text tab > click the Increase Font Size Button A or Decrease Font Size Button A to adjust the font size of selected message body.

OR

Message > Section Moving > Actions > Edit

Right-Click on the selected Message area (gray area)

Click Font > Edit / Adjust the Font selections

Click OK to save

Left-Click in the “gray area” to release the section

1. Click File > Print to print the opened message.

1. After printing, close the Message window without saving.

============================================================

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Wow. Lots of info.  I just got off the phone with HP for about 45 minutes and have no answer.  eprint prints print as 4 x 6 page with the document scaled to fit. ..tinie tiny like 3 pt text.  Did a factory reset on the printer with no success.

HP Recommended

@alluvian 

I don't have another answer either.

ePrint does what it wants - and hopefully what it is designed - to do.

We have no influence over the process.

There are certainly programs and security watchdogs keeping track of the data flow - there are not people looking at the content to be sure you are getting what you expect / want.

Already mentioned:

Images are always printed at 4x6.

HP ePrint Email Job Does Not Print

Section Step 2: Check ePrint email and print job requirements

Item 4

If the attached file is identified by ePrint as an image / photo file, the attachment will print at the 4x6 inch size.

There is perhaps either a mis-identification of the file type of the attached file, or the file is indeed an image file.

There is naught we can do about it either way, of course.

In the document:

Documents (PDF file) attached will print out on Letter / A4 paper - single sided.

Already noted:  The "Custom" settings mentioned in Step 2 are likely not available for your printer.

=================================================================

Not directly related to ePrint - something you should know about - presented as FYI...

If / when you change the paper in the printer, but sure to tell the printer about the paper.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Note the mention of selecting "Custom" size in the printer display / EWS when exact dimensions are not listed.

Check / Adjust / Retain the Paper at the Printer Display Panel

Section is not applicable to printers lacking a printer display panel.

Open Printer Tray,

If you have not yet done so, add desired paper type

Wait a couple of seconds…

Close Tray

IF applicable for your printer:

Look for a message on the Printer Control / Display Panel,

Click Modify (wording varies), set the paper size and type, Click OK

Note  – Printer Display Panel > Adjusting the paper size:

If the size of your Paper Size is not in the Drop-down menu,

If available:  Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Embedded Web Server (EWS)

EWS option is applicable to network connected printers.

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is supported on your printer,

Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) to view / configure your printer.

EWS – Browser – Tray and Paper Management

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Tray and Paper Management

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

Click Apply to save changes

EWS - HP Smart for Mobile - iOS

Reminder: The EWS Tray and Paper settings must be updated before you open the object to be printed.

Open HP Smart (for mobile)

Open Settings

Open Add / Set Up a Printer 

Scroll down, Click, Tray and Paper

As Available:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

EWS - HP Smart – Windows

Start HP Smart Application

Printer Settings

In section Settings > Advanced

Tab Settings > Preferences

Tray and Paper Management

As Available:  Check / Adjust settings in Advanced

If applicable, check the Advanced section (at the bottom of the Tray and Paper Management menu)

NOTES

• Size not listed in the Drop-down menu?  If available:  Select Custom (likely the last selection in the list)
  • EWS is also available in HP Smart Windows and HP Smart Mobile > Settings > Advanced
  • Features and options differ by printer model and type.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Set the Preferences – Windows

This section is not applicable to Mobile Printing.

Printing Preferences are available directly from the driver and / or might be called "Printer Properties" / "Shortcuts" (or similar) from within printing software / applications.

Preferences and Envelopes: 

Select / leave Printing Preferences shortcut to "Everyday Printing" or something equally benign. 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Preparation > Check / enable the printer as the “Default Printer”

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

UNCHECK (clear box) Let Windows manage my default printer

Select (Left-Click) your printer from the list of printers > Manage > Set as Default

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Printing Preferences - Selections

Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners

Left-Click on (your) Printer > Manage > Printing Preferences

Next

Tab Printing Shortcuts > Click / Highlight your preferred Shortcut > Click Apply > Click OK to exit

Additional Setup / Information

Make changes to a Shortcut (Model Dependent)

• Select your Shortcut (locked or custom) >
  • Adjust the settings for paper, source (tray), other settings
  • Check all sub-menus in all Tabs
  • Click OK to save / leave sub menu

Custom Shortcut

On the main Preferences menu,

Save the edited shortcut or use “Save As” or “Create Custom Shortcut” to save as a new / different file name

Click OK to save the setup

Side Bar:  Scan Menu for HP Scan

Open More > section,

Check / adjust settings in each sub-section

Click OK to save sub-menu changes

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

So at the end of the day, and a few hours with HP Tech Support,  my conclusion is this problem is caused by a firmware bug in this printer the HP OfficeJet 5255.  This device is two years old and it looks like that is just about the time HP eprint came out. And this printer was one of the first to have the eprint feature.  So my opinion is that by now the firmware in the device, which is current, has a bug with eprint.  It looks like it considers any file sent to it to be a photo which eprint defaults to to a 4 x 6 size and fits the entire document into that window.

Conclusion: bought a Deskjet 3755 which is eprint compatible and I suspect it will work.

Why is this so important to me?  Because I have created a restaurant web site whereby online orders, not online pay, created by customers will be sent to a printer via eprint.  So, this will be eprint being used in a production environment.

Thanks very much for the many many detailed comments and information here!!

HP Recommended

@alluvian 

You are welcome.

Sure - could be a sudden collapse of the firmware.

This does not sound right to me but could be true.

Since February (when the firmware was released) there have not been messages of catastrophic failure of this model and ePrint.

That said, things are indeed sometimes as they seem.

Anything to be done?

HP would have normally provided the means to Reset the printer - that is about as much physical intervention that is possible on the hardware side.  If anything would clear the issue on your side, on your printer, a Semi-full reset would have accomplished this.  (Only HP employees are permitted to provide this type of reset information.)

What else?

There might actually be an unreported / under reported / not understood issue going on with ePrint.  While HP might be expected to know about something of this sort, news does not always travel quickly between departments (a personal opinion). 

More likely - Many issues with ePrint are regional - that is, not all service areas are affected when there is a service interruption.   This means the service might work fine for me and not work at all for you or someone else.

Yes, ePrint is intended for private use. 

Lots of people use ePrint for their small business.

For those reading:

HP OfficeJet 5200 All-in-One Printer series Firmware Update 

Release date:  Feb 2, 2021 (at this writing)
FixesSecurity improvements

Easier fix - If the issue is your printer hardware, replace the hardware.

Good Luck.
Stay Safe.
Carry on.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.