Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Photo 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm installing a new HP ENVY Photo 7855 printer and want to use its HP Direct Wireless connection to my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows 10 64-bit.  I can't find a way to simultaneously maintain my internet wireless connection and the HP Direct wireless printer connection, I have to manually disconnect my internet wireless connection and connect my HP Direct wireless connection to print.  In other words, I can't print anything from the web.  I do not have a router and have very limited internet bandwidth and useage via a hotspot on my wireless phone.  Any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Pangolin

Thank you for joining HP Forums.

It's a pleasure assisting you in finding answers to your technical queries.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

How are you trying to connect the printer? (Wireless direct or wireless)

Connect and print from a computer with Windows 10 or 8.1 using Wi-Fi Direct.

Complete the following steps while near the printer.

1. Make sure the printer is turned on, in a ready state, and paper is loaded in the main input tray.

2. Open the Printers list in the Devices settings.

• Windows 10: From the Start menu, click Settings, click Devices, and then click Printers & scanners.

• Windows 8.1: From the Charms menu, click Devices.

3. Click Add a printer or scanner.

4. Click Show Wi-Fi Direct printers if the option displays.

5. Select the printer with DIRECT in the name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Officejet Pro 6970), and then click Add device to open the WPS PIN window.

Enter WPS PIN window when adding a Wi-Fi Direct printer in Windows 10

6. Go to the printer. Depending on your printer model, either a connection request message with the PIN displays on the printer control panel or a page prints with the PIN.

NOTE: 

On printers with a touchscreen, the Wi-Fi Direct menu screen  displays a Wi-Fi Direct Password: 12345678. This password is for logging into the printer's Wi-Fi Direct connection through the computer Wi-Fi settings. This is not the PIN used to add the printer to the computer.

7. Return to the computer, enter the PIN, and then click Next to complete the connection and basic print driver setup.

8. Open the photo or document that you want to print, click File, and then click Print.

9. Select your printer from the list of available printers, and then click Print.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the slow reply - other matters intruded.  To answer your question, I'm trying to connect to the printer Wireless Direct.  I went through the procedure you gave me and established wireless comm with the printer OK, although at one point I was told I needed the printer driver on my computer, which I downloaded and installed.  The driver installation added the printer to my list of devices and appears to be full-featured.  My basic problem remains - the printer remains offline until I manually disconnect my laptop's wireless internet connection to my cell phone hotspot (no router, remember) and manually connect to the Wireless Direct comm to the printer.  Vice versa when I want to reconnect to the internet - so, I can't apparently do both simultaneously, at least not with my fully updated Windows 10 and/or wireless hardware limitations that may be in this Dell Inspiron 15 laptop.  Unless you've got other ideas, my choices seem to be two: 1) get a router and establish a LAN or 2) hardwire my laptop to my printer.  Thoughts?

HP Recommended

@Pangolin

Appreciate all your efforts and detailed explanation on the issue.

So the printer or the computer can only to one network at a time, either the printer should be connected to the hotspot or the computer.

As an alternative, you can connect the printer and the computer to the hotspot and print, that should work.

Run a wireless setup wizard to connect to the wireless network.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but having both the laptop and the printer wirelessly connected to the hotspot is the configuration I started with (as automatically set up through 123.hp.com) before all my attempts to use HP Wireless Direct between my laptop and the new HP printer.  Unfortunately the hotspots on my Samsung cell phone and Verizon Jetpack appear to have no router features, so while multiple devices wirelessly connected to a hotspot can simultaneously go out to the internet, they can't locally communicate with each other.  I could print OK, but there was a big delay in printing large files and after I saw the data usage on my phone I concluded I was using HP ePrint and my print jobs were going via Singapore (or somewhere).  I can't accept the amount of data usage that configuration requires, so I think I'm stuck with either getting a router and establishing a legitimate LAN where my devices can communicate with each other locally or hardwiring my laptop to the HP printer.  I'm still open for suggestions, however.

HP Recommended

@Pangolin

I have sent you a private message, for the further course of action that cannot be shared in a public post.

Can you please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and have tried all that you have mentioned.

I have an HP M130FW and cannot get my computer to connect to WiFi Direct AND my WiFi.

Can you send me the same email?

HP Recommended
The private message I received was no help.  It simply said that the problem was being referred to HP and that 
someone would be in touch with me.  No one ever got in touch with me, and I have found no solution to my 
problem.  So my configuration continues to be to hardwire the printer to one of my laptop's USB ports and use
the laptop's Wi-Fi to talk to my cell phone's Hotspot and the internet.  I suspect that to do both at the same time
my computer would have to have two wireless transceivers and Windows 10 would have to support both
simultaneously, or that my computer would have to have a built-in router.

HP Recommended

@Pangolin

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I need the ability to have the wireless connection and the Lan Connectioni working at the same time.  I need the ability to talk to control systems via Lan connection, while accessing the wireless network to get additional information from the web.

Is there a way to have both of these on at the same time?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.