Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet 5255
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased an HP printer OfficeJet 5255. it is set up and working fine wirelessly. I don't want a wireless connection.

I want to connect it to my computer via a USB connection. When i initially set it up wirelessly, I was able to switch it to the USB connection, but then a few days later the USB connection disappeared and it is back to wireless.

I uninstalled the printer, disconnected the USB from the computer and started the re-install. I used HP Smart and then went back in an selected the full software and driver package. The HP instructions tell me I will be asked to choose a printer connection option, but I never got the option.

Can someone help be connect this printer to my computer using a USB connection?

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Tennis6

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you.

The HP Smart app only works with a wireless connection. Kindly follow the steps mentioned in this document to install the printer using a USB cable. 

Uninstall the HP software from the PC.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I appreciate your getting back to me. I had already done what you had suggested and everything was fine. But I checked my connection this evening and once again the printer has gone back to a wireless connection. How can I keep this from happening? This is the second time I have disconnected the printer from my computer and set it up with a USB connection and after a while it reverts back to a wireless connection. What am I doing wrong?

HP Recommended

Sorry, for another question: I don't understand that HP smart only works with a wireless connection. I use HP Smart to open the the printer to see what's going on, eg ink levels, etc. It has said USB connected and wireless off, then it reverts back to wireless.

HP Recommended

@Tennis6

On the printer screen, go to Setup > Network > Restore network settings

Go back to Network > Wireless > OFF

The blue light on the printer should turn off now which indicates the wireless radio is off.

Monitor the printer and let me know how this goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I finally found setup-network-restore network settings and now my printer is off-line with the blue wireless button off.

Can we talk by phone?

Why is this so confusing. I use computers and printers daily for work. All i want to do is connect this printer to my desktop computer via a USB connection, but every time I do that, it's ok for a while but then reverts back to wireless.

HP Recommended

@Tennis6

Glad to know that. As the wireless radio is off, the printer will work only on the USB connection. Did you monitor the printer and check if the issue persists?

If the issue persists, I will provide you with the information to contact the Hp Support team for assistance.

Let me know how this goes.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't think I'm being clear. The printer is now off-line.

When I open HP Smart the connection status is inactive.

HP Recommended

@Tennis6

HP Smart will not work with a USB connection as mentioned in my previous post. Kindly refer to the first statement on this document. You may also use this document for more info on the app.

You wanted to connect the devices using the USB cable and hence we disabled the wireless radio on the printer.

Now, you will have to use the HP full-featured software to control the printer.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Connect the USB cable when prompted by the software.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Finally, my printer is working with a USB connection.

i had to have an IT guy uninstall everything and re-install it according to your instructions (which I also had done), but he did several other things to lock down the USB connection so it will not revert to a wireless connection.

I am able to use HP Smart with the USB connection. It shows that the printer is connected via USB and wireless is off.

I feel certain it will not revert to wireless.

Thank you for trying to help me and being so prompt with your replies.

I

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.