Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro 6978
iOS

My iPhone doesn’t recognize my office jet pro 6978. Hp smart app shows it but apparently it sees the printer as offline. It’s not

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@jbartonp, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I understand you have printing issues with HP Smart App. Let us try to isolate the issue and resolve it-

Restart the devices and try again.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. For more information, go to Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware.

Check for network issues and conditions that can cause printer connectivity to fail with the HP Smart App.

• Confirm the printer is not in energy saving or sleep mode: Press a button on the printer or touch the printer control panel to return it to its normal power state.

• Turn off or move nearby devices: Other wireless printers and devices that emit radio signals, such as microwaves and cordless telephones, can interfere with setup. Turn them off or move them farther away from your printer.

• Restart the printer and the mobile device: Restarting the printer and mobile device can clear possible error conditions.

• Restart the router: If you are experiencing a slow or intermittent wireless connection, try restarting your router. Consult your router manufacturer, Internet service provider, or network administrator for instructions on how to restart the router.

• Confirm the printer connection and network name: On your printer, make sure the wireless feature is on, and the printer is connected to the same network as your mobile device.

Some printers have a Wireless icon and a blue light on the printer control panel. Make sure this light is on and not blinking.

• Move the printer and router closer together: Move the printer closer to your wireless router, but no closer than 6 ft (1.8 m). Wireless signals can be weaker at greater distances between the printer and the router.

• Check the router band setting: Many routers can operate in both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequency bands, but not all HP printers support both bands. Make sure the 2.4 GHz router band is enabled and broadcasting. If the router broadcasts separate network names (SSIDs) for each band, connect the printer to the 2.4 GHz band SSID.

If you tried all the steps above and still cannot connect your printer to a network, go to Printing with Wi-Fi Direct for more options.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.