Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Office jet pro 8210
Android 8.0 Oreo and older

I am trying to connect my printer to my mobile phone using the HP print service plugin app. All has proceeded along fine except when the app asks me for the WiFi direct password. When I enter it i get a message that it is incorrect. I have tried to enter it several times. I also verified the password on the printer display panel to be sure but it still will not work  would appreciate any help.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@OhioRon,

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues printing using the WiFi direct feature.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Have you changed the WiFi direct password?

I recommend you try using the default password which is 12345678 and check if it helps.

Alternately, I recommend you use the HP Smart app to print from your phone.

Refer to the below article for detailed steps on how to use the HP Smart App.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03561640

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again. I have not been able to change the Wi fi direct password. If this is possible to do, I have not figured out how to do it.  I have tried using the Wi fi direct password that shows on the printer's display panel. I also tried using 12345678 and I tried using no password.  None of these options have worked.  I have been using the HP print service plug in and I have also tried using the HP smart app.  Both apps produce the same result. I also tried to connect a different printer, my HP 8740 through WiFi direct. I get the same message here too.  I also tried using my old Samsung Android phone. That phone is running Android 8. Oddly enough that did seem to work. My current phone is a Motorola G7 running Android 10.  I would still appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

@OhioRon,

Follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-8210-printer-series/7902063/document/c04577030

Let me know how it goes.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your response.  I did try these steps.  I actually followed this exact video for connecting directly using an Android device.  Two key differences that I notice when I try to print from my Android device is:

1. The video suggests that I open the document and then select print. The video suggests that I then choose to print using HP direct.  When I open the document using the Adobe reader app and then select print I do not get the option to choose HP Direct as one of the options.

2. On my device, I have to first start the App(HP Direct Plugin) and from there choose my printer.  This part seems to work just fine up to the point where the app asks me to enter the password.  When I enter the password, the app is telling me that it cannot except the password.  This is the problem that  I am having that I have described to you in the first posted message.  The video seems to suggest that the app does not require a password to use HP Direct.

Further down in the FAQs in the article one of the items describes how to change the password.  However, in order to follow those instructions you first have to be successfully connected which is the whole problem that I am having in the first place.  Therefore I cannot follow these steps.

HP Recommended

@OhioRon,

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.