Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 3830 or OfficeJet Pro 8740
iOS

I use the HP Smart App on my IOS phone & tablet. The phone has been updated to IOS 14, but the tablet has not and I’m having the same issue on both devices. At home, I have an HP OfficeJet 3830 and at work we have an HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 and I’ve got them both setup for remote printing and I’ve got this same issue with both: however, I’m more concerned with the work printer since I oftentimes have to print documents for others while I’m not at the office and I really prefer using the app over emailing documents to the printer so I can verify the settings and so forth. The issue I have is that, I can only print to either printer, using the smart app, if I’m actually connected to the same WiFi network as the printer. I have checked all settings and everything imaginable. After I had setup remote printing on the work printer, I think I was able to print from my home network once, but now I can’t print at all, to either printer unless my device is connected to the same network which defeats the purpose of remote printing. When I first setup the remote printing, I remember having the option, and being able to go into “Print Anywhere” in the options menu of the specific printer in the smart app; however, I no longer seem to have that option listed. I’m really hoping someone  can help since I really need to use the HP Smart App to print to my office printer while I’m at home. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Make sure you have eprint access set to open for anyone

Screenshot (415).png

HP Recommended

It is, but I still can’t print unless I’m connected to the same network. That was actually one of the first things I checked and it’s the same issue with both my home and work printers. I’m not so much concerned with my home printer as I am with the work printer, and I have printed to the work printer from home, with the app and without sending the file to the printer through email. It was a direct print like normal, I was just on another network. I frequently have to print documents while I'm at home for others who are working and don't have access to the documents. 

HP Recommended

Just wondering if anyone else in the HP community has had any issue such as this. I used to be able to go into an excel file on my phone, in the excel app, click on the options button, and then click on print. When the print screen came up, it would give me the list of printers associated with my phone, which was my home printer and my work printer, regardless to where my physical location was. Still can't figure out why I can no longer do this. At first I thought it was due to Apple upgrading to ios 14; however, I had the same issue with my iPad, which hadn't been updated yet. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.