Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello e-All-in-One Printer Users, 

If you are reading this, chances are you're encountering a webservices issue in your HP e-All-in-One Printer. If you cannot scan to email, use ePrint, or obtain a claim code, this post is for you.

Many of the later vintage (2010 and onward) Photosmart, ENVY and Officejet Series e-All-in-One Printers share the same wireless and webservices features. Within these printer series you can enable wireless and webservices (ePrint, scan to email, Printables) connectivity from the front panel making their setup for use with Android, Windows, iOS, Mac, and Chrome OS much simpler than older printer designs. Naturally, when things go wrong or there's confusion about how to use the printer and features like ePrint and scan to email cease to work, the fix for these issues is the same across most models. 

Webservices are not connected: What does this affect?

When webservices connectivity is lost ePrint, scan to email, and Printables features will cease to function. If you're just getting started with your printer setup, the inability to generate a claim code (for adding your printer on HP Connected or enrolling in Instant Ink) can be attributed to not being able to enable webservices. If you're affected by any of these issues please read on. I have suggestions that might help.  

Common Remedies

• Before you fix webservices, make sure that your printer is connected to a network, whether it's via a hard-wired ethernet connection or via wireless. Print a Network Configuration Report from your printer's front panel (usually this is found under Tools / Reports) to confirm an active ethernet connection.
  • If you're connected via wireless, touch the printer's wireless icon wireless icon.png. If you're seeing it as connected and there's an IP address beginning with 192.168... or 10., great. If not, run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect with your network name (SSID) and enter the wireless password as prompted. 
  • Ensure that your printer's date and time settings are accurate. You can verify and adjust this via the printer's front panel in most cases and through the printer's Embedded Web Server. 
  • Now, with network connectivity assured touch the webservices icon ePrint.gifor ePrint 2 icon.png(depending on the model) and try enabling webservices. 
  • If you were successful at connecting and an info sheet printed, or at the very least, an --------@hpeprint.com address is displayed on the printer's front panel, perfect, webservices are now functional. This means that you can now claim your printer on HP Connected or use one of the above-mentioned features*.

*Note that ePrint and scan to email functionality are addressed later in this post if you still need assistance with those features.  

• If webservices still won't enable try restoring your printer's factory defaults*

*Note that completing this step will reset your printer's wireless configuration, ePrint address, and other customized printer settings. If you have created a custom @hpeprint.com address it will be permanently erased. For more information on custom ePrint addresses, click here.  

Here's how: 

• From the printer's front panel touch the Setup/Wrench icon and then touch Tools
  • Select Restore to Factory Defaults
  • Note that newer printer's may contain this setting under the Printer Maintenance heading instead of Tools.  

Next, reconnect to your network (wireless or wired) and try setting a manual DNS:

Make a note of the printer's IP address.  Next, complete the following steps to set a manual DNS

• Input the printer's IP address in a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer) and press Enter to access that page directly. This should take you to your printer's Embedded Web Server (EWS). 
  • Click on the Network tab.
  • In the left sub-menu, click Networking.
  • Next, click on Network Address (IP). 
  • Click on Manual DNS Server. 
  • Input Manual Preferred DNS as 8.8.8.8 
  • Input Alternate DNS Server as 8.8.4.4 
  • Click on Apply to finalize this change.  
  • Note that the above noted EWS menu headings may vary across printer models. If you don't see the exact headings I've listed here, the sub-heading you need should still appear under the Networking tab.  

Next, touch the Webservices icon ePrint.gifor ePrint 2 icon.pngand re-enable your webservices (necessary for scan to email, ePrint and other features). 

Next, if a scan to email issue led you to this post, touch the scan icon and input the email address you're looking to scan to.  Next, retrieve the PIN that you should have received automatically via email and finish your scan to email setup by entering this PIN into your printer.  Ideally, if you're able to get this far the service will be fully functional. 

Alternatively, if ePrint was your main issue, and all of the above (save for scan to email steps) suggestions worked, try emailing your printer a print job. If it prints successfully, ePrint is back online. If you're an HP ePrint app user, did the app automatically detect your printer's connection? If not, go into the app settings and manually add your printer to the app using either you claim code or the printer's IP address. Lastly, if you're a Printables user, try using your favorite apps from the printer's front panel, or via HP Connected

There are advanced troubleshooting steps beyond what I've posted here and you can find them in the Forum as posted by employees, Experts, and community members alike. Start with the basics, and if you're still unable to enjoy your printer's webservices don't be shy to reach out - HP Support Forum is a great place to exchange ideas and help one another in getting the most out of our products. 

Thanks for taking the time to read. If you have any questions or comments feel free to reply. 

All the best, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Greetings, 

To any/all new users checking into this thread, the first and main post is a handy resource for webservices connectivity remedies. 

Try all of the recommended steps where applicable - if you run into any issues beyond this I'll be happy to assist.

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I am helping a friend with setting up Photosmart 6520-e. He has problems using scan photo to email from the printer screen.

I have reset web services and that is working. Established a new e-print email address for the printer and looking at your post I am at the following problem --

Next, if a scan to email issue led you to this post, touch the scan icon and input the email addressyou're looking to scan to.  Next, retrieve the PIN that you should have received automatically via email and finish your scan to email setup by entering this PIN into your printer.  Ideally, if you're able to get this far the service will be fully functional.

I do not know how to retrieve the PIN. It was sent to the printers e-mail address. It must be simple - but I must be more simple.

I'm sure we will have everything resolved once we input the PIN.

I appreciate any help here.

Thanks -

HP Recommended

Hi @Riverview204

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. :robothappy:

I see that you're helping a friend with enabling scan to email in the HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you with this. I have some suggestions that might help.

Question - when you input what I'm assuming is your friend's email address in the printer, did they receive an email containing the scan to email PIN? 

If yes, you can use this to validate the scan to email feature. If not, let me know and I'll present some alternative suggestions. 

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

No - I entered the email address of the printer.

So I would need to go back to the beginning and set it up to print to his (or any) email address, not the printer email address. I thought that was possibly the case. 

But - we were at the point of getting frustrated and let it set at that point.

Thanks - Patrick

HP Recommended

Hi @Riverview204,

Yes, use the personal email address rather than the printer's ePrint address - you'll get a much better result that way. :robotvery-happy:

If you're interested in customizing the printer's ePrint address you can learn more about how to do so here

Cheers, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Greetings, 

To any/all new users checking into this thread, the first and main post is a handy resource for webservices connectivity remedies. 

Try all of the recommended steps where applicable - if you run into any issues beyond this I'll be happy to assist.

Regards, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

E-roq, thanks for the many helpful suggestions.  I have unfortunately tried all of them with my HP 8620 printer.  At one time, it worked with Web services throught he same network equipment I am now using, but no longer can reach Web services.  I tried everything I could find in these pages, including (a) your suggestion of uninstalling Web services, removing ink cartridges and reinstalling them, (b) setting manual IP and DNS, (c) checking that ports are open -- they are, (d) trying both wireless and wired connections, and (e) factory resetting the device.  After all of these, I consistently get the message "Unable to connect to the server".  I can see the device fine over my local network, and it can print over both wireless and wired networks.  I have another printer, an HP 8615, that finds the Web services fine over the same network!  I'm both curious as to what to try next and fairly frustrated at why the printer provides no diagnostics or tools to find out why it's not connecting.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hey @ManyHPPrinters

Welcome to the HP Support Forum. :robothappy:

I see that you're having an issue enabling webservices with your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. I would like to assist you with this. I have a suggestion that might help.

You might want to try enabling DMZ mode in your router's software/EWS.  I'm hesitant to provide explicit steps on how to achieve this as mistakes can drastically affect your network's performance.  However, if you like, I recommend you reach out to your Internet Service Provider or Router manufacturer and they'll show you how to enable DMZ mode. Also, you can Google the router's make and model to find out how to access that as well. 

Here is the information that you need for your service provider to open ports on your router/modem. . .

- Multicasting needs to be turned on
- Bonjour enabled for Airprint
- Mac filtering needs to be turned off
- Also make sure your router has current firmware update if
needed
- Turn on dmz mode on the router and enable it for the printers IP address _______________

Ports to open are : Eprint and Apps

Incoming Ports.

UDP
------------------
Outgoing Ports

TCP
-------------------

I hope this helps.  Please let me know the result of your troubleshooting by responding to this post.  If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below.

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!  Robot Very Happy

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

E-Roq,

Thanks for the quick reply!  Unfortunately:

1 - I have checked the ports and they are open

2 - I put the printer in the DMZ, and it still does not work

3 - The other printer (HP 8615) still works over Web services, even though this one will not link.

Sorry, do you have any more ideas?  Is there any way we can find out what error is causing the printer to fail to get through?  The "shoot in the dark" approach is consuming a lot of time and is not seeming to bear any fruit.

Again , thanks for your time and your help!

Steve

HP Recommended

Hi @ManyHPPrinters

Thanks for trying and being so thorough in your replies. 

From here I recommend you reach out to our Cloud Support team. You can click on the following link to initiate a case:

Cloud Support

Once you fill out the online form to create your case you can choose from different direct contact methods.

Best of luck, 

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.