Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need to install your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4620
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I changed my router from netgear to technicolor provided by TWC/Spectrum and suddenly my printer HP Officejet 4620 stopped connecting to my wifi. I've had tried to connect it using Wi-Fi Protected setup using push button and pin. I also tried to restore to default network somany times and reset to default the whole printer. I'm also trying to cennect it using the usb to my computer wireless network and this is what I got: "The WPA security passphrase you configured on your HP printer does not match the WPA passphrase used by the wireless router.  Configure the printer using the correct WPA passphrase." I need help.

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Replacing/changing your wireless router, try here.  

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/wireless-printing-center/reconfiguring-system-help3.html

* Reset your printer back to Network Defaults.  Then run the Wireless Setup Wizard to connect.  Both can be accessed from the front panel.  If no front panel for configuration, you must use your Printer USB cable to connect.  You can also try the WPS method if your router/printer supports this only if the Wizard or Printer USB cable is not available.
* Set router to a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never ‘auto’.  Try channel 1 first then the others one at a time.  
* Make sure printer and router are at least 5 feet apart.  
* The router must have the 2.4G SSID band enabled with a different name than your 5.0G SSID band in your router.  
* Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the printer.

Make and model of modem and router?

However if you have a Gateway (modem+router) device, all Gateway devices are terrible for wireless connectivity.   If this does not work, suggest you think about putting that gateway device in full bridge mode and install your own high quality router that YOU have full control over.

HP Recommended

HPOfficejet4620.JPG

Is there any wrong here? I changed the channel from 1, 6, & 11 already and still not working.

HP Recommended

Reset the printer back to Network Defaults.  Now try to connect again.

HP Recommended

It didn't work.

HP Recommended

Well instead of saying...."it didn't work", how about the error message.   OK with that said...

In the router remove and disable all security on the SSID.  Now try to connect to your unsecured 2.4G SSID with no password.  Are you successful?

If yes, go back and put on WPA2-AES with your password and try to connect again.  Are you successful?

Edit-  Just to verify you did do everything above yes?

HP Recommended

"Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS) error. " That's the error I received. I will try your suggestion.

HP Recommended

You arent' using WPS are you to connect????

HP Recommended

The WPS is the only way to connect my printer to wifi. I tried the push button and pin through my router config. I did your suggestion above and it didn't work.

HP Recommended

OK, time to start all over.

My post above said for you to use the Wireless Setup Wizard in the printer via the  front panel.  Never use WPS because it basically never works and is a last ditch effort.

Start everything all over using the printers Built in Wireless Setup Wizard.

I suggest you download and read the User Guide for your product here.   That's what I have to use since I don't have that printer.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-4620-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5101229/model/510...

Do everything again please.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.