Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart Premium C310a
iOS

When printing with the HP Smart app I need to select the main tray (A4) in order to print a screenshot on plain paper. In former versions of the app there was an option which let me select the paper tray. This option seems to have gone. I am using an iPad with the latest version of IOS. My printer is a HP Photosmart C310a or C410b. Can anybody help me.

Thanks in advance.

Hans

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You guys are not really helpful. instead of spending 90% of your energy trying to come across politely you could spend that effort in thinking about a real solution. One of your colleagues said the answer to this question could not be given in this forum. I should call HP instead. Why? Is this a secret or do you want money for the answer?

Re-installing everything is the stereotype answer for all Windows problems. Does anything go wrong? Re-install Windows and all programs and restore all your data and try again.

Meanwhile I found the answer myself. So here is the answer for other people having this problem.

The option for selecting paper size and paper tray is hidden in the "edit" section. If you tap "print photo" and select a photo you get a screen "print photo" with a "print" button. However, at the top right hand corner there is an icon for edit (three bars with three circles). If you tap that you get a number of options at the botom of the screen like number of copies, colour and quality, paper etc. I fyou tap "paper" you get new options for format (A4, 10x15 etc), source (automatic or main tray) and type (photo paper or plain paper).

Life can be so easy.

Best

Hans

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Hansth,

Good Day. A warm welcome to the HP community. I reviewed the case regarding issues with selecting the correct paper tray from HP Smart App. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description, brilliant troubleshooting and terrific observations made before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this:

• Did you try to uninstall and reinstall HP smart app and try again?

For now, try these steps:

• Uninstall HP Smart app and reinstall it from Apple iTunes.
  • For further assistance, check this link: http://hp.care/2DFjFhp (HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)
  • It gives you steps on how to download, install and use HP Smart app with FAQs.

If the issue, persists, then contact HP phone support for further assistance as they will help you in real time in this regard.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂 Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You guys are not really helpful. instead of spending 90% of your energy trying to come across politely you could spend that effort in thinking about a real solution. One of your colleagues said the answer to this question could not be given in this forum. I should call HP instead. Why? Is this a secret or do you want money for the answer?

Re-installing everything is the stereotype answer for all Windows problems. Does anything go wrong? Re-install Windows and all programs and restore all your data and try again.

Meanwhile I found the answer myself. So here is the answer for other people having this problem.

The option for selecting paper size and paper tray is hidden in the "edit" section. If you tap "print photo" and select a photo you get a screen "print photo" with a "print" button. However, at the top right hand corner there is an icon for edit (three bars with three circles). If you tap that you get a number of options at the botom of the screen like number of copies, colour and quality, paper etc. I fyou tap "paper" you get new options for format (A4, 10x15 etc), source (automatic or main tray) and type (photo paper or plain paper).

Life can be so easy.

Best

Hans

HP Recommended

Hi @Hansth,

I read the post. Thanks for the quick reply. I am happy for you that the issue is resolved. Good job. First off, the forum is a community space to exchange information from customers, experts and employees for the benefit of everyone. There have been loads of cases where uninstalling and reinstalling the app has resolved the issue. Sometimes the apps don't work as they should and look like they have a mind of their own. 

So the first step is to uninstall and reinstall that specific app and then check the settings. The app could be corrupted. Besides, I was not seeing your IPad in real time to understand that the app is working perfectly on the iPad. That is the reason that the first step to uninstall and reinstall the app was suggested.

Had it been a Windows computer I would have referred you to phone support so that The support team would have taken control of your computer to check what is happening and then provide a solution accordingly. I have been honest in my approach in answering your queries without beating around the bush.

I hope the HP product works great and lasts a long time. Thanks for your time and efforts. It is greatly appreciated.

If this helps, 

. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi David,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. However, I am not with you wrt. the response to my original question.

If you look at the actual solution, the suggested solution seems to me inappropriate.

I asked "How can I select the paper tray when printing with your app?".

The appropriate answer should have been "If you select a photo and tap the edit button you'll get the option to select the paper tray at the bottom of the screen".

Question: Where is this button?  Answer: There it is!

Best regards

Hans

HP Recommended

Hi @Hansth,

I have reviewed the post comprehensively. Yes, the feedback is taken. You've displayed great commitment, excellent technical competence and a rare display of common sense to point out exactly what is happening. Kudos to you for that. Not all customers who post their queries in the HP community are as tech savvy as you are. That is the real reason the uninstallation and reinstallation steps were given. I am not justifying anything here. But your point is taken and it is an eyeopener.

Now trust me I kept your best interest in mind when I responded to your first post. Anyway, all's well that ends well goes the old adage. I am really glad that the issue has been fixed.  It was also magnanimous on your part to share this information on HP forums that will assist several others in this regard. I thank you greatly for sharing this vital piece of information. 

You are a valued HP customer. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed year ahead. Stay healthy and smile big:)

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hey DavidSMP. I also have an IPad (latest iOS) with an HP Officejet Pro X476dw MFP [DEC3F8] to print from. The solution Hans gave to select a tray in the ‘paper’ setting (in my case Tray 1 or Tray 2) does not appear as an option in the app. Is there another solution to solve this? All default tray options on the physical printer are set to “Tray 2”, which is the one I desire to print from. It continues to attempt to print from Tray 1 which is empty and difficult to refill because of the physical stand it is in, in my office

HP Recommended

Thank you, Hansth. In the 2019 version of the app, it gets even more complicated. You really have to search for the paper size option.

HP Recommended

Can you confirm where it is in the latest version, as no matter what I try it will only print photos on A4 from Tray 1 not 4x6 photos from tray 2. Cheers

HP Recommended

When you select your photo and the app shows the Print Preview, at the bottom of the screen is the blue Print button. Above that, on my screen, is an orange dot with "HP ENVY Photo 7800 series" and a number. Above THAT is a little grey bar. Hit that bar and a screen will come up with the paper, print quality option, color option, etc. It's a shame they have to nearly hide it with that grey bar. I have found that if I load 4x6 paper, the app automatically selects it from the photo tray. If I load 5x7 paper, it gives that as the paper option. That's pretty awesome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.