Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I'm trying to use WiFi Direct on my HP Envy 7855, the EWS page says "WiFi Direct has been disabled by the administrator" but I am the administrator. I don't know how or where to enable it.  I know you can use WiFi Direct with this printer but I can't find anything on the control panel or in the settings. I took it back to "factory defaults" and still no luck, please help.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@KYEPFAN,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues printing from the internet.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Wi-Fi Direct).

2. Touch (Settings).

3. If the display shows that Wi-Fi Direct is off, turn on Wi-Fi Direct.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps to restore the network defaults on the printer.

1. From the printer control panel, touch or swipe down the tab at the top of the screen to open the Dashboard, and then touch (Setup).

2. Touch Printer Maintenance.

3. Touch Restore.

4. Touch Restore Settings.

5. Select which function you would like to restore to the original factory settings: (Select Network)

● Copy

● Scan

● Fax

● Photo

● Network

6. Touch Restore. A message appears asking you to confirm.

7. Touch Restore.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, I did this with no luck. The issue is that there is no "WiFi Direct" option appearing on the Dashboard. When I access the EWS page it says "WiFi Direct has been disabled by the administrator, please contact the person who set up the printer". I am the person who set up the printer, and I know it wasn't disabled before. I have tried everything including restoring factory settings and still no luck.

If I could just simply turn WiFi Direct ON, I would but there is no option.

HP Recommended

@KYEPFAN,

I recommend you update the printer firmware following the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02919168

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did this and the firmware update says "not applicable"

Attached is a screenshot.

Annotation 2019-10-25 190455.jpg

HP Recommended

Here is a screenshot of my EWS page too if that helps.

Annotation 2019-10-25 191714.jpg

HP Recommended

Is Wireless Access Point enabled in admin settings?

If you enable it, then go to Network, WiFi Direct and make sure it is on, then reboot printer.

Screenshot (54)_LI.jpg

HP Recommended

My admin settings screen doesn't have all those options

Annotation 2019-10-26 192536.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.