Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I'm still having this issue sporadicallyon about 5-6 users PCs. All the help HP has given me is three drivers I already had installed and one new chipset driver that I'm doubtful will have any effect. 

HP Recommended

I've recently finished a very expensive (in terms of my contract hours) project to take over each of the HP laptops my client has to install the latest drivers - mainly from Windows update.

However, I haven't had the nerve to contact them yet to ask if it's made any difference. 

We've had to issue all the HP users with USB headsets because of this problem. A faff but actually not without benefits because they insisted on carrying out Skype conferences with the in-built microphone which a) made it sound like there were in a toilet and b) overcomes the other well-documented problem with Skype and HP ProBooks whereby the audio (from mic) faded in and out.

My client has not surpringsly switched to another supplier over this issue.

HP Recommended

@Chandies wrote:

Booting from a Win 10 PE USB stick, the audio did function normally, indicating an OS / SW issue, not hardware.

Oddly enough, as soon as I restarted from the internal HD, audio started playing normally.  No more driver or hardware issues.

Still monitoring to see if it's intermittant

1- When I Linux-boot my HP ENVY x360 m6 via an external drive, I have no problem whatsoever with Audio.

2- When I boot via the internal hard drive hosting HP Envy's Windows 10 Home install,  the problem always come back after a short while. Most of the time, restarting the system (not rebooting after a power-off, but restarting), temporarily solves the issue as it always comes back.

3- I MUST keep Windows 10 from updating itself (I have to turn off Microsoft update) : the latest Intel HD graphics driver cripples things as I can't see anything on my Samsung HD TV, until I switch back to Intel HD Graphics that's published on HP drivers page for the Envy m6. Since WIndows 10 always updates those intel drivers with the latest, I had to turn off Windows updates...

4- Since then I have no problem with HP audio under Windows 10 Home edition. My guess is that HP's implementation of Intel's is odd, weird, bizarre... Stop Windows from automatically updating and then reinstall HP drivers was my solution. But it's NOT a good one since it would represent a security issue.

HP Recommended

Thanks man, after upgrade my BIOS from 1.06a to 1.08a, everything worked again

HP Recommended

I've just been asked by my client to replace all  HP laptops purchased over the six months with Lenovo laptops because of on-going audio problems. Not just because of the problem in this thread but also they are also not fit for use with Skype for Business. Ever since they tried the HP range, users have reported that their clients report they cannot hear them. They make extensive use of Skype for business calls and poor audio is simply not acceptable - it's making them look bad with their clients.

This also makes me look bad for suggesting they consider HP equipment. Fortunately, it wasn't just my call as cost was also a consideration. A false economy it turns out. When I was IT manager at my previous company, we stuck with Dell for 15+ years and it served us well. When we sold the company, there was pressure to switch to HP. I'm glad I cashed in my options and left as this experience has left me with a very bad taste concerning HP laptops. That will take many years to overcome and this client will probably never come back. A classic example of "Who lost the sale". Sure, they are just a small company but they are growing rapidly. 

They are mulling over whether to try and take legal action to recover at least some of their money - we're talking about £10k of equipment here.

Then again, having read about Meltdown and Spectre over the past few days, Intel aren't exactly having a good time. 

Anyone going to guess who component actually is at fault here? Who makes Conexant hardware?

HP Recommended

I've the same issue here!

It's crazy that HP didn't find a way to fix this issue.

In my case, reboot 3 or 4 times the laptop fix the issue for a while.

I have about 200 Laptop and some of them have this issue randomly. 

The teacher comes crazy and I can't imagine what the h...k it is !

HP Recommended

It seems like HP provided a corrupt version of the Conexant Drivers for certain devices. I had this issue and I just fixed it downloading the driver update from the HP website according to my model (you can identify yours right here https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers). Here is the full bulletin of the issue and the software updates: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-probook-430-g4-notebook-pc/10477243/model/10477245/document/.... Working fine so far, at last. Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.