Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp Envy 15 notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks back I upgraded my laptop and since then my computer started acting weird.

My battery had until then been perfect, but now it drains during one night when computer is turned off, sleeping, closed lid etc..

Also, as soon as I let it rest, close the lid or simliair it wont wake up again. The keyboard lights are on but notning except a hard reset works.

Sometimes I do the hard reset and find that the internet webpages sometimes are "saved" and opens up when I power up again.
The fan has also started to wound alot more recenlty.

My guess is that some downloaded upgrade caused this but I dont know how to fix.
I have tried downloading all the latest drivers etc.

I have also tried a ton of tips from different forums regarding power settings, hybernation and such but nothing works.

All of this happened right after the bad update so I know that the problem is not the battery itself..

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AB22

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

The Riddle_Decipher is back 😉

I reviewed your post and using the product number you've shared,
I've got this BIOS update that should resolve your concern once installed: Click here

However, if the issue persists the only other thing you could do, is Contact HP to set up a service to either replace the battery or the charger port as there could be a short circuit within the port causing the issue:

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number to obtain a case along with the phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hello@AB22,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.

Need assistance in fixing the multiple issues on the PC. Did I get it right?

This appears to be a driver issue for most of the issues you mentioned in your post.

I would recommend you to perform the updates on your PC using the HP Support Assistant and update all the drivers and BIOS on your PC.

Hope this answers the question. Please let me know more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply but this did not help I'm afraid...

HP Recommended

Hey@AB22,

Thanks for the response.

Then, I request you to perform the battery test and check if that finds any possible hardware failure.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03467259

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

"HP respects and is committed to protecting the personal information of our covered individuals." You can read more in the HP Privacy Statement.

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thanks but I have tried this as well and I did not help. All the tests say that the battery is fine!

HP Recommended

Hey@AB22,

Thanks for the response.

I request you to perform he chipset and BIOS update using the link below and check if that improves the battery performance.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Hope this helps. Feel free to reply for more.

Resolv_S

I work for HP

Note: HP doesn’t recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware/software parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty.

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I'm afraid this doesn't help either... 😕

HP Recommended

It looks like you were interacting with @Resolv_S but he's out for the day,

And I'll be glad to help you out.

The Riddle_Decipher is at your service.

Have you ensured the computer is turning off and not going into a sleep/hibernation mode?

As this could be simpler than we think, just to be on a safer side, I recommend we focus on how your computer is set up to turn off:

You can save power by specifying what the computer does when you close the lid or when you press the power button.

• Depending on the setting you specify, pressing the power button causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

• Depending on the setting you specify, closing the lid causes the computer to do one of the following: Do nothing, Sleep, Hibernate, or Shut down.

Click here for details on how to change the options to shutdown instead of hibernating or sleep unde...

Also, perform the below steps to turn off hibernation mode:

• Run the Disk Cleanup tool, and then at the bottom of the window that pops up, click on "Clean up system files". Check everything, hit OK, and let it run. You will free up several GB for sure.
  • Another thing to do is disable hibernate file. Run CMD as Administrator, and type the following:
  • powercfg hibernate off

If the issue persists, please follow the steps to disable USB Type-C charger to ensure your battery doesn't deplete while it's shut down:

1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers branch.
3. Double-click the USB Root Hub device, and click the Power Management tab. (if there’s more than one USB Root Hub device, repeat these steps for each one.)
4. Turn off the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option and clickOK button.

Keep me posted,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

Mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

First of all, thanks for the help.

I have tried everything (though the powercfg thing did not work as the program said something about being unable).

It feels like sometimes the computer drains all the battery over one night, and other times it works as normal (im looking at the battery loading icon).
I do have a USB mouse but it has never been a problem before (I did double check the USB energy saver options in the device mangaer).

Sometimes when I try to shut the computer down it seems to take forever, with the screen black, keyboards lights on and the fan going mad. If i do a hard reset (press down the power button a few secs) it starts up immediately and the internetpages are still just where I left them and such.

All in all, the problem is still there and it feels like I have lost control over the computer...

HP Recommended

@AB22

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I have a few more tricks up my sleeve and this should resolve the issue completely:

You will need to Understand Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology: Click here for details

Resetting the ACPI battery driver may take care of this.

There will be a hard reset mixed in as well,

so the two methods combined typically help a lot with battery issues - (I know you've done this before, but the below sequence is the key):

1. Go to Start, search for Device Manager, and open this result.

2. Expand batteries.

3. Right-click on the ACPI option (usually the 2nd option) and select delete or uninstall. Follow the prompts.

4. Shut down the computer.

5. Disconnect the charger.

6. Remove the battery.

7. Hold down the power button for 1 minute.

8. Insert the battery only.

9. Attempt to turn the battery on.

If this had an impact, it should behave differently.

If not, Press the power button and then tap the F2 key to invoke the startup menu.

Choose and click on the F10 key to invoke the BIOS.

Use the System Configuration tab. Disable USB Charging and press the F10 key to save the changes and boot into Windows.

Keep me posted,

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.
 Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.