Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

@TEAMWORK1

Welcome to the HP Forums,
I hope you're well 🙂

As I understand the mouse cursor doesn't appear anymore and everytime you restart it goes back to the same place you had been before the computer was turned off,

I'll be happy to help, however, I will need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

Have you performed the steps mentioned on the same post accepted as the solution for your concern? (Click here, if you haven't yet)

When was the last time it worked(Date) and have you performed a system restore?

The computer doesn't start from where you stopped last unless it's being put into hibernation mode instead of shutdown,

1. Press Windows + X keys to open Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin
  2. To disable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h off

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't really understand what this HP rep is saying. I don't see any solution here other than try a system restore back to the point it last worked. 

In my case the last time it worked was before i upgraded to windows 10! I did briefly try updating drivers and very briefly it worked and then stopped working. Many people have reported the same behaviour. This was some time ago and there is certainly not a restore point I could reference to return to that time. 

HP Recommended

Hi @TEAMWORK1,

Please try the steps mentioned in the previous post and check if it gets resolved.

The computer doesn't start from where you stopped last unless it's being put into hibernation mode instead of shutdown,

1. Press Windows + X keys to open Power menu and select Command Prompt (Admin
  2. To disable the Hibernate, type command powercfg/h off

Please keep me informed and do have a great week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have now tried the steps mentioned earlier in the article. I had tried them before and they helped but eventually the cursor disappearing problem returned. 

I have my cursor working for now, if it disappears again I will report back.

Now I just need to know why my laptop won't wake up when it goes to sleep and why it won't charge despite a fully working transformer and good batteries.

HP Recommended

@angelman_

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad to know that the cursor is now working fine and to help you with the sleep mode issues,

Please follow the below steps:

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly.

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode:

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager.

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard.

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step.

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available.

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

4. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked.

5. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps.

6. For instructions on how to update the BIOS of your computer, see one of the following HP support documents: Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

For more steps, Please click here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

as expected after following all the instructions, changing the drivers then updating bios... latest window update applied, once again my cursor has disappeared1 seriosuly how hard is it to make a 

HP Recommended

i couldnt finish my sentence because of no curso and couldnt get focus back in the window1

HP Recommended

btw going into mouse advanced settings and reset pointer device brings back the cursor.

HP Recommended

@angelman_

Thank you for replying,

I recommend checking in the BIOS (restart and tap on F10 to access) and if it has an erratic movement on it as well,

It would be determined as a hardware failure and requires a touchpad replacement,

If it works on the BIOS, it's a software issue, I recommend reinstalling windows using the recovery manager to resolve the issue,
if the recovery manager doesn't work, order the recovery media using the Official HP Website or contact HP phone support to get one delivered to your place.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am quite sure this is software. It has been reported by numerous people and happened immediately windows was upgraded from 8.1 to 10. 

If I do the recovery it will revert back to 8.1 presumably. If I order recovery media from HP will that also be 8.1 or windows 10?

My last idea is to try and do a clean install of windows 10 from scratch without any of the HP stuff on it.

The cursor has come back now I reset the pointer/mouse in settings. I'll see how long it stays for. If it goes away again I'll try the clean install.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.