Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I removed the SATA SSD from my Elitebook 840 G2 (P4C18UC#ABA) and installed a Toshiba RC100 in the M.2 slot, but the drive does not appear as an available boot device. However, the drive is detected when booted into Windows (both, Windows Setup and Windows 10 off of the SATA drive).

M.2 missing from boot menuM.2 missing from boot menu

Boot order has M.2 at the topBoot order has M.2 at the topM.2 SSD boot is enabledM.2 SSD boot is enabledM.2 SSD slot is enabledM.2 SSD slot is enabledInstalled drive in "SSD" slotInstalled drive in "SSD" slotDrive is correctly detected in WindowsDrive is correctly detected in Windows

I tried the new Toshiba SSD in an another laptop (Elitebook 840 G4), and it boots successfully. I also tried the G4's SSD in the G2, and the G2 did not boot from it (does not appear as a boot option). Therefore, evidence suggests that something is wrong with the boot settings in the G2 (since physically/electrically, it appears okay).

The drive boots properly in an 840 G4The drive boots properly in an 840 G4

The plan is to put an HDD in the SATA slot for photos/videos, and run the OS and applications from the SSD. 

How can I get the laptop to boot from the M.2 drive correctly?

Thanks,

Chris

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I have that same problem. I bought Toshiba RC100 M.2 SSD but can't use it. Can somebody answer, please?

HP Recommended

I contacted HP Support, and as of 12 days ago, they have no idea. I sent them a diagnostic file that they requested, and they "shall keep you updated in the following days." Considering the experience I had just trying to explain what the problem was, I have no hope that they will provide something useful. 

I also tried another 840 G2, and it had the same symptoms.

Therefore, as it is now, the 840 G2 appears to only support booting from the SATA drive, but the M.2 drive can be used after booted into the OS. This goes against HP's documentation and apparent BIOS settings, which says the laptop supports booting from M.2, but...meh. 

I gave up and bought an 840 G3 instead for ~$400 from Craigslist, which works exactly as you'd expect and already had an M.2 drive installed. It also supports the much more common 80mm drives, whereas the G2 only supports 42mm and 60mm drives. 

HP Recommended

@Bajajaja

Thank you for the information. [content removed] They trick people. I bought the computer and Toshiba OCZ RC100 240GB ssd for this option.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with a Elitebook 850 G2...

Any solution known yet?

HP Recommended

Nope; HP never got back to me, despite them saying they'll escalate it to an engineer, and me providing the diagnostic logs/data they requested. 

I've never followed-up because I got a different laptop. 

Not sure what happened with the other user. 

HP Recommended

That's a shame... Lousy service though. The mentioned laptops are business grade and had a hefty retail price so you would think they'd do something with this issue.

Thanks for your reply though 🙂

HP Recommended

from what i can understand its problem with mbr and gtp problem just delet all the partions on the drive and try to install on unlocated drive it will work ... that how i do it

HP Recommended

The issue is that on the 840 G2, the BIOS doesn't even look at the NVMe drive for an MBR, to attempt to boot from it. It only checks the SATA drive for an MBR, despite having the NVMe boot option enabled and having it as the first device in the boot order.

HP Recommended

Greetings from Middle Earth. Better late than never I come from Rivendale with great tidings and also a possible solution. I dwell in the valley of Hackintosh and use the green and fertile Clover to boot my EliteBook 850 G2 NVME drive. Since you have a SATA drive installed simply install Clover to the EFI partition of the SATA drive boot from the SATA drive and once Clover loads it should give you the option to boot to your Windows NVME partition . Let me know if that works for you. Btw Elrond says hello.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.