Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I'm running on an HP G72-b66US Notebook with Windows 7 64-bit

Every time I boot it up, I see the Hp logo appear and then go away after a few seconds like usual but instead of seeing the Windows logo, theres just a blank black screen command prompt and nothing happens at all. I did a self hard drive test and memory test in bios and they both passed. I tried going into the system recovery option on startup and it does the same as when I start it up and go to that blank command prompt. I didn't add anything recently to it and I recently scanned it for viruses before the problems started happening and it was clean. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the ISO from the link below.

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the Rescue CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
HP Recommended

Hi,

If you don't already have one, use another PC to create a Windows 7 Rescue CD.  Download the ISO from the link below.

Windows 7 64bit

You should use an application such as ImgBurn to burn the ISO to a CD - a guide on using ImgBurn to write an ISO to a disc is Here.  Once created, or if you already have this, insert the Rescue CD into the notebook and restart to boot from it.  Select Repair Your Computer and choose the Command Prompt.  When this loads, enter the following commands and hit enter after each one - include spaces as shown.

Bootrec.exe

bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup

c:

cd boot

attrib bcd -s -h -r

ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old

bootrec /RebuildBcd

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

Remove the Rescue CD and try rebooting the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for responding fast and explaining everything clearly. It worked perfectly and now im back in bussiness.

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome and good to hear it's working again :generic:

All the best,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi. i hope you will reply soon.. would this work for my hp pavillion dm3? i have the same issue. it turns on and everything just like this other comment stated, but then it stays on a black screen with a cursor at the top corner. HELP please! 

HP Recommended

Hello Mrsmaciel,

I saw your post and would like to help you with this please click here for the steps to resolution.

Click the KUDOS star on the left to say “thanks” for helping!
Please mark a reply “Accept as Solution” if it solved your issue so others can find it.
I work on behalf of HP.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Will this delete any of my files?? Also i'm running Windows 8.1 will i be able to do the same thing to fix it. Please help I really need my laptop and my work back.

HP Recommended

Hi arrogantoreo,

I saw your post. Doing the steps above won't delete any of your files. What is your boot issue? Are you getting an error message or anything else when your loading Windows 8.1. Are you using the same model as the original poster, the g72-b66us or a different model? If you have a different model, can I please get the product number?

Find your product number on a notebook:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Sorry for such little information. I have an issue with my laptop just going to a black screen with a cursor once I log in.I don't get an error message of any sort just see a black screen with my cursor.I have a different model laptop. My laptop model is dv7-7333cl.I don't have any rescue discs made so can someone please help.
HP Recommended

Hi arrogantoreo,

Use the link below to try and boot into safe mode. If you can get into safe mode install the second link which will be the 8.1 graphic driver.

http://www.satinderspace.com/2013/10/steps-to-remove-windows-81-blank-screen.html

AMD High Definition Graphics Driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-124799-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...=

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.