Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 CS3001nt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I start up my pc with power plugged in, usb ports work perfectly. But when I start up my pc with not power plugged in, USB ports do not work. In diagnostics, it is the same story. I believe there is a problem with the BIOS. I use the latest version. I think in BIOS there is some bug preventing USB ports work in not plugged in state. Please fix it. Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@kdeviren Greetings from the HP Community!

Here are a few things that should help resolve the issue:

Let's start by right-clicking Start and selecting Device Manager.

devicemanager1

The Device Manager in Windows 10.

Click on the section that says Universal Serial Bus Controllers. When the listing expands, look for the items marked USB Root Hub. You may see one or several labeled USB Root Hub (xHCI). Those are typically your USB 3.0 ports. Right-click one of the hubs and select Properties. Click the Power Management tab and check (if un-checked) Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power. Click OK and you're done.

devicemanager2

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It is not solved. You need to fix the bios for usb power settings and fan opening treshold. Fans open for no reason as well.

HP Recommended

@kdeviren The fans are system managed, we cannot change the way it works, that said, did you happen to check the BIOS for USB power settings? And what happen when you went through the suggested steps? did you get any error messages or were you able to complete all the steps, and yet the issue persists? please elaborate.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

BIOS doesn't have USB power settings. I believe you can adjust the fan behaviour. I believe you can give us a setting in bios like "silent mode" which every other pc manufactuters give their costumers. But you just give this option only to businesses. Aren't we as consumers valuable to you? You don't give USB Power Settings, fan settings and battery protection settings to consumers. It is a fairly easy thing to do for you. Your "consumer" BIOS consists of like 3 settings and that's all. 

I did what you suggest before opening this post. It didn't do anything. I cannot use external hard drives when my pc is on battery. Hard drive spins but my pc cannot recognize the device. But when I plug in the AC adapter, it works magically!

As a consumer, all I want from you is what every other manufacturer does. Just give your "consumer laptops" proper BIOS with fan, USB power and battery protection settings. Just give us options and tweaks that business laptops have. And fix your buggy BIOS because I believe USB power settings are broken and we cannot change anything because of this pathetic BIOS.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@kdeviren I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher , @Kdeviren

I have the same problem and I posted my problem in the link below. My notebook is the same model.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/USB-Ports-not-working-pavilion...

I tried all the generic suggestions. It really annoys me and I’m about to go crazy. Were you able to solve this issue?

HP Recommended

@osen Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the USB port is not working while booting.

Do not worry. Let's work together and get this issue addressed.

Have you performed the USB port test?

If not, please perform the test and let us know the result.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose USB and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

@

I looked for the component test in the diagnostics screen, but it is not available. I also looked for it in the HP PC Hardware Diagnostic for Windows app and couldn’t find usb option under the component test. Screenshots of the diagnostics screen and Diagnostic app are given in the pictures below.

Diagnostic  screenDiagnostic screenDiagnostic  appDiagnostic app

HP Recommended

@osen

Thank you for the update.

Please update the latest UEFI  and check for the component test.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.