Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP G72-250US
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi guys, apparently last night my laptop decided that it no longer wants to charge while it is on. i have tried pressing the power button fix i have tried opening the laptop and checking the charging port, i also opened the charger to see if something is wrong in there, nothing is wrong its all fine. the laptop only charges while it is off, when i press the power button the charging light turns off and also does the AC light, and it boots up on the battery fine. i really need help and a solution for this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

You have been simply superb to work with. It has been a pleasurable experience. So do try with a charger as it could be faulty by getting in touch with a local technician.

I've done all I can to help you here really.  At least we have deduced that the charger's power output is not consistent which points the finger at this time on the charger.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a fabulous year ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

Good day .and thank you for choosing the HP community. ! 🙂 It is a great location to find resolutions.

I reviewed the post about charging issues with the unit. It charges only when the unit is turned off. I’ll be more than happy to assist you here. 🙂

At the outset, you’ve diagnosed the issue perfectly and performed great analysis of the situation before posting the query on HP forums.

Excellent job on that score. Kudos to you. It is always a privilege to work with technically savvy customers.

I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. We value your relationship with HP and wish to serve you better. 🙂

It looks like a hardware issue with the unit. The battery controllers that supply charge to the battery are not functioning while the computer is powered on and work only when it is powered down.

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• Did it this begin after any update like windows update, bios update or any other update?
  • Have you tried with a different battery or charger if you could get hold of one?

For now please follow these steps.

• Uninstall the ACPI drivers from device manager for the battery.
  •  Then test and calibrate the battery.
  • Then change the power plan to the windows default plan.

Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers.
  • Then restart the computer and check again.

Link for battery testing and calibration: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01297640

Link for changing power plans: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04752217

Finally, try with a different battery and charger if possible by checking with a local Best Buy or Staples technician before buying it. If it works fine with a different battery, then you need to replace the battery and you are good to go. Same steps for the charger also.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi I also forgot to add a little detail, the laptop also doesn't turn on while the AC adapter is plugged, when the power button is pressed the light goes out and sometimes stays out. In order to get the AC light I'd have to pull the battery and place it back while the AC is plugged then it begins charging. But when I press to turn it on the light goes out and it boots on the battery alone no charging light or AC light. I'll try the solution and be back to update I'll be doing that right now
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

Nice little comprehensive post. Thanks for the super quick response. It certainly looks like a hardware issue with the unit.   You've done fabulous troubleshooting with your profound technical abilities. Hats of to you on that score. 🙂 It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you and work with you. 🙂

Something could be shorting inside if the unit does not power on with the adapter.

Please try these steps after trying the steps from my previous post.

Please perform a hard reset from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then remove the battery and check with the charger alone and see if the unit powers on to isolate the issue. If it continues please contact a local technician to get the unit serviced as service options with HP may not be available as it is not manufactured anymore.

I genuinely hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂 Trust me I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

Please keep me posted.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi sorry for the late reply, apparently I had to strip down the entire laptop in order to fully get a diagnosis. Well as I feared it seems the issue is the charger, the battery is fine that's for sure. It seems the charger has a short inside I'm guessing the regulator, because when it's plugged in, it takes a while before it turns on the charging light, it did so right now, it's charging now but it also take a very long time to charge which is also indicative of the charger being bad. I'll be focussing on the charger I'll do a few tests using a tester to see if its pushing enough power to the laptop. Will keep you updated.
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Like I said before, it could be the charger or the battery or any component inside. That was the whole idea of trying sith a different charger.

I hope the replacement charger if it turns ou to be the charger, works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a fabulous year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Ok an update, looks like the output for the charger isn't consistent, power values are 13.83v, then 19.16v then 14.82v. with the AC adapter plugged the battery terminal has 0.09v as opposed to the 10.8v the battery shows it has so I'm guessing that value is way too low. I'll be testing the charger next.
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

I read the super quick response.  If the charger shows inconsistent power output values, I would suggest that you step into Best Buy or staples and try with a different adapter and that should isolate the issue to the adapter or the computer. Please try a different battery on the unit as well.

Do not buy the battery and adapter. It is only for testing. Use spare ones that they may have.  If it works correctly, then you could think of buying it.

If it is isolated to be the charger or the battery and if this helps, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Well for the time being I live in the Caribbean so I cannot get access to a best buy, I'd most likely get a spare from a PC repair store here. I have very little options but I'll attempt to fix it, I also have my soldering iron ready to repair any issues...... PS: I am not a technician, just self taught.
HP Recommended

Hi @Kashiffc154,

You have been simply superb to work with. It has been a pleasurable experience. So do try with a charger as it could be faulty by getting in touch with a local technician.

I've done all I can to help you here really.  At least we have deduced that the charger's power output is not consistent which points the finger at this time on the charger.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a fabulous year ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.