Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillion dv7-3085dx
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Dear Friends,
Trust this finds you well...
Booted the computer work fine and before I could catch it..it shut down. That ia when the following story began to unfold.
Generally speaking when your laptop gives you this type of message at the "Battery icon 0% Not Charging Plugged In" Going into the  Device manager>Battery and uninstalling the Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Controf in the correct order or removing the Battery and pressing the Power button for 30 seconds >2 minutes and rebooting in the correct order once again tends to correct this.
That has not worked. It will run straight off the AC Adapter, but it will not charge. I'm wondering if the Battery is bad or near it's "end of life" or possibly the Charging system itself is not working?
It also notifies me that the AC adapter can't be identified or something  like that or it isn't the correct wattage??!. I have (2) AC Adapters that are working and switching them in and out gives the same message(s)
 As far as I know I cannnot update the BIOS due to the Battery level stating 0% and personally I don't think that is where the issue is coming from. What do I know?!
Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated,
ABHenry

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

When the battery does not work right and it is anywhere close to 2 years old or older the smart bet is it needs replacement. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Its an old old laptop. How old is the battery? 

HP Recommended

Thank You!
To be honest I don't really know? I'd guess a couple years. Its not the original and I looked everywhere trying to find more information, but I couldn't. 
Please Advise
:Wink:

HP Recommended

Its too old to have UEFI diagnostics but if you have the HP Support Assistant app installed there is a battery test that will read the data from the smart chip inside the battery to say how many cycles it has, etc. 

HP Recommended

Dear Friend,
Thank YOU! 
It's sound like replacing the Battery might be a good place to start..Yes/No?
Is there anyway or more issues that would indicate the charging board inside is not working i.e, charging a battery?
What is your gut feeling about this scenario with all those years of experience? What would you do?
Would a BIOS update help if I could perform one? If it needed an Update the updates were only a few months apart if my memory serves me right? I don't recall anything mentioned about Power or Battery issues as improvements.
Have a great day ahead.
Sincerely, Raphael
:Wink:

HP Recommended

When the battery does not work right and it is anywhere close to 2 years old or older the smart bet is it needs replacement. 

HP Recommended

Thank You! once again...
Once I get this sorted out with a new battery I'll post back and let you know.
I'd like to get into a newer model, But I'm not sure where to begin? suggestions?

These older computers have held up as long as they have cause I switch between them. It seem's like getting parts, etc..increases with age as planned obsolescence sets in. 
IMHO technology  is moving too fast for humans beings.
God Bless.
Sincerely, Raphael

HP Recommended

Those old DV7s are robust workhorses. This is a good deal on a current 17 inch screen model with i7 processor with 8 gigs RAM and a fair to middling discrete video card, as well as an Optane module to speed up the 1 TB hard drive to SSD levels. 

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-laptop-17t-3en04av-1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.